The "I, Robot" interrogation scene, revisited

Audio-visual media relating to science, technology and the future
funkervogt

The "I, Robot" interrogation scene, revisited

Post by funkervogt »

In the 2004 film I, Robot, there's a scene where a police detective, played by Will Smith, interrogates a robot in a police station because it is suspected of murdering a man. It's an important scene and marks the first time the characters talk.

It's interesting to watch the scene and note how it is already dated in one respect, and highly likely to be dated in another by 2035, the year when the film takes place.

The robot doesn't know that winking an eye at a friend is "a sign of trust." If you asked an advanced chatbot like GPT-3 what the gesture meant, it would be able to tell you the right answer, even today.

Will Smith also speaks as if it's foregone knowledge that machines are incapable of artistry. However, as image generation algorithms like DALL-E 2 have shown us recently, they can already equal professional human artists in some fields. They will only improve, and I'm sure they will in music composition as well. By 2035, machines will probably be making most visual art and music, and will be much more talented than the average human.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Re: The "I, Robot" interrogation scene, revisited

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

funkervogt wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:02 pm In the 2004 film I, Robot, there's a scene where a police detective, played by Will Smith, interrogates a robot in a police station because it is suspected of murdering a man. It's an important scene and marks the first time the characters talk.

It's interesting to watch the scene and note how it is already dated in one respect, and highly likely to be dated in another by 2035, the year when the film takes place.

The robot doesn't know that winking an eye at a friend is "a sign of trust." If you asked an advanced chatbot like GPT-3 what the gesture meant, it would be able to tell you the right answer, even today.

Will Smith also speaks as if it's foregone knowledge that machines are incapable of artistry. However, as image generation algorithms like DALL-E 2 have shown us recently, they can already equal professional human artists in some fields. They will only improve, and I'm sure they will in music composition as well. By 2035, machines will probably be making most visual art and music, and will be much more talented than the average human.
I def need to watch this movie! All these years and I never got around to it. Amazing work with the camera using it to show the robot's perspectives :o

Indeed funkervogt I think they were downplaying the impact of what AI would do 20 years ago so people would not freak out which is probably happening on some scale in the art world in the 2020s. Wonder how all this is going to culminate soon once the AI leash gets slowly loosened. There's no way there have not been massive advances all these years.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

Re-watching this scene it is clear that we need new movies with more up-to-date AIs and more realistic scenarios given our updated technology in the field. If these movies take too long we run the risk of having real AI/Robot sooner than them :lol:
And, as always, bye bye.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

R8Z wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:13 am Re-watching this scene it is clear that we need new movies with more up-to-date AIs and more realistic scenarios given our updated technology in the field. If these movies take too long we run the risk of having real AI/Robot sooner than them :lol:
There are at least two other aspects of the movie that will surely turn out wrong:

1) The robots all speak in monotones. In reality, they are already close to perfectly mimicking human speech, including our emotionality.

2) The villain AI, "VIKI", appears as a crude hologram of a human face. In reality, it would look photorealistic.

On the downside, servant robots in 2035 won't be anywhere near as dexterous or nimble as those in the film. Levels of speed and coordination comparable to a 70-year-old human are more realistic.