Techno-Utopian Futurism of early 2000s

Audio-visual media relating to science, technology and the future
MythOfProgress

Techno-Utopian Futurism of early 2000s

Post by MythOfProgress »

leaving this one as a reference, this is just an analysis of futuristic aesthetics that arose in the mid-to-late 90s to the early 2000s, commonly referred to as Y2K or Cybercore(in reference to the Y2K problem where everyone thought any machines with advanced computing capabilties would undergo a worldwide crash) might not have been around as much for this art movement/style taking off- but i can remember fragments about this particular genre years before.

nice to take an entry back into the history of the net and what people in the 2000s thought the future was gonna look like, basically having made an evolution on retro-futuristic designs and aesthetics which admittedly look pretty comfortable (for lack of a better word) - but gonna have to start going for more grounded interests at some point in the future.

it's demise is apparent in hindsight, i have got a pretty good feeling the more time that passes, post-apocalyptic designs/aesthetics and art will be more popular, whether its from an environmental cataclycsm or nuclear war. for now though, most people are going through the cottage core and solarpunk aesthetics.
R.I.P Ziba.
Powers

Re: Techno-Utopian Futurism of early 2000s

Post by Powers »

MythOfProgress wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:27 am It's demise is apparent in hindsight, i have got a pretty good feeling the more time that passes, post-apocalyptic designs/aesthetics and art will be more popular, whether its from an environmental cataclycsm or nuclear war. for now though, most people are going through the cottage core and solarpunk aesthetics.
Maybe it will end up like contemporary art.
Expect full revivalist movements if shit goes south.
Cyber_Rebel

Re: Techno-Utopian Futurism of early 2000s

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Ah, so this is basically why the latter 90s felt so futuristic, especially compared to perceived modern culture afterwards. A sort of really miss this style, mainly because everything at the time felt so optimistic and forwards looking. I suppose the reasoning for that is explained well, so recreating a modernized version would feel like attempting to recapture something which currently doesn't suit.

Still, the utopian technological aspects should at least inspire something new. The A.I. boom, which many compare to the previous internet/dot com boom of that era I hope leads to a successor of sorts. The world could use more of that optimistic vision.