Audio-visual media relating to science, technology and the future
wjfox
Site Admin

2075: When Superintelligent AI Takes Over

Post by wjfox »

funkervogt

Re: 2075: When Superintelligent AI Takes Over

Post by funkervogt »

Whatever happened to punishing people by making them do community service or, like, spend time in jail?
Powers

Post by Powers »

funkervogt wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:25 pm Whatever happened to punishing people by making them do community service or, like, spend time in jail?
I guess that would be limited to "wasteful and disruptive behaviour".
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Not so certain about this outcome. On one hand, it's almost everything an AI hopeful such as myself can possibly imagine. But on the other hand, it has some dystopian vibes masked behind the veil of a utopian society.

Instant death rather than an attempt at rehabilitation or even the "subtle nudges in the right direction" by the overlord AI seems a bit harsh. Are people in this hypothetical always living in fear of thinking the wrong thing because of this? Or did it imply Omnizan alters their thoughts before they make such a mistake which ends up getting them zapped? The latter seemed to have been implied, but perhaps the earlier harsher method was used for a time? Also curious on the two-child policy, what's the logic behind this?

It's almost like humanity and AI switches roles from where we are right now, to where we are the ones who get realigned and reprogrammed in a sense. Certainly, arguably much better for the planet in a utilitarian way, but at the cost of humanity's current "free will," if such a thing even exists.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yeah, it's an interesting video, but I hope our future doesn't look like that. It's too Borg-like for me...
erowind

Post by erowind »

funkervogt wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:25 pm Whatever happened to punishing people by making them do community service or, like, spend time in jail?
Was having the same thought, no ASI is going to consider simple lying and murder to be equivalent offenses either.