Talk about depictions of the future in science fiction and other sources
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: The Star Trek thread

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

The third trailer for season 2 of the Star Trek: Picard series.

"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Captain Kirk: Bezos' Blue Origin to send William Shatner into space

Published 51 minutes ago

The actor who played Captain Kirk in the Star Trek series is set to embark on a real-life journey into space.

US tech billionaire Jeff Bezos's space travel company Blue Origin confirmed that William Shatner would be blasting off from Texas on 12 October.

Aged 90, the actor will become the oldest person to have flown into space.

"I've heard about space for a long time now. I'm taking the opportunity to see it for myself. What a miracle," Shatner said in a statement.

Shatner will be joining three other people aboard Blue Origin's New Shepard rocket for the company's second human spaceflight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58792761
Lariliss

Post by Lariliss »

Not only William Shatner was moved to tears. Many of his original fans did.
It is remarkable for a person in his 90's to go for the mission. Anyone in any age will feel that, ‘something that I didn’t experience before’. And being a man with that legacy, it is something that not any fan would experience, I believe.
Getting old, one starts to appreciate the smallest and the biggest things in a more pure way, ‘the air keeping us alive is thinner tan the skin’ - he said.
William Shatner is just as old as the space technology race. Sci-Fi has a good part of science behind it, it is not a fantasy series. And now he participated in an important manned mission with precise landing control. Unbelievable strength and legacy of the man.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Hi there! My apologies I didn't search enough to find an existing thread on this.

Has the Trekkie genre gotten better or worse? It seems around the 2000's it made the jump to more engaging but also CGI. I remember the old ones were stale in comparison from the few episodes I saw here and there but they sometimes had legitimate knowledge like fighting arts in it.

Edit to specify that I grew up seeing re runs of Star Trek The Next Generation on TV in the 90's and 2000's here and there.
urdestan

Post by urdestan »

Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:58 pm Hi there! My apologies I didn't search enough to find an existing thread on this.

Has the Trekkie genre gotten better or worse? It seems around the 2000's it made the jump to more engaging but also CGI. I remember the old ones were stale in comparison from the few episodes I saw here and there but they sometimes had legitimate knowledge like fighting arts in it.

Edit to specify that I grew up seeing re runs of Star Trek The Next Generation on TV in the 90's and 2000's here and there.
Having seen the ‘both sides’ (those who like the New Trek and the ones who hate it) here’s a rundown of my opinions, as I was the one who grew up with the Kelvin films were released so older ones were the ones I watched later on:

- There’s better representation, especially with LGBTQ+ ones (Discovery have those, quite better than Disney at this point imo). In terms of Discovery, I don’t mind it as much as the haters do (we’ll get down to the specifics a bit) but I don’t like the canon breaker in the first season.
- Well, Picard has his own show and that for me was sorta better than Discovery to me.
- I don’t like Lower Decks. Its just Family Guy/Simpsons with a Star Trek aesthetic; imo the animated style should’ve reflected closer to the Animated Series, needs major overhauls and not the style the mainstream is looking after. Just looking at it makes me think of these two shows, alongside Futurama. Seriously, why are adult animated cartoons nowadays look like a McFarlane or Groening animated show? Give me something like Archer or anime-inspired ones for once, western animation. Yeah, I hate animation nowadays, its either the simplified faces, Simpsons-style or 3D animation - never a distinct style.
- Other than that, there’s Prodigy, which I never watched. There’s also Strange New Worlds, which is still in production but has Captain Pike in it alongside Spock from Season 2 of Discovery (in terms of their actors, Anson Mount and Ethan Peck respectively iirc)

And now here’s the spicy bit. The haters who criticise new Trek revolve around a few things:
- The inclusion of LGBTQ+ characters (not too surprising at all, esp. with these so-called Fandom Menace audiences, imagine the same thing in the 1990s but with Janeway as captain or black Vulcans, i.e. Tuvok, as their problem, but Voyager is kinda the more ‘progressive’ one compared to DS9 so this is probably just me)
- Klingons don’t look like Klingons (admittedly they don’t look like those from the TNG or the original Star Trek films for the first one, but I think it has been resolved in the second season)
- Michael Burnham and the spore drive is basically a shoein and destroys canon that is built up in the original (yeah, its immersion breaking, some think the show should be set in the 25th century and continue that line, they did try to resolve it in season 2 of Discovery)
- Kurtzman. (Having watched the almighty Doomcock and a few other channels like Nerdrotic and The Midnight’s Edge, they seem to be gravitated by Kurtzman being the one who ruins Trek and spread some misinformation through uploading a lot of rumours. Not just Trek, they do the same with Star Wars and Doctor Who, although for DW at least Chibnall is gone and Davies, the showrunner for the newer iteration of the series is back, I doubt there may be change to their attitude except a few)

Now with that in mind, these people also promote another show called The Orville. Its not related to Star Trek although it is a homage to it, so some of them are like “it is 100% Trek”. If you hate McFarlane, that’s fine, I hate him too and Family Guy as well (his other projects too are plain dumb like Ted), but I do recommend a watch if you seem to tolerate him at a minimum level. I liked it personally, though its third season has been in delay for two years in production due to the pandemic.

Edit: The newer shows are more action as well than say give valuable lessons like in the previous shows where its mainly “alien, event or planet of the week” sort of episodes. So don’t expect some lessons and a lot of fighting.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Lariliss wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:35 am Not only William Shatner was moved to tears. Many of his original fans did.
It is remarkable for a person in his 90's to go for the mission. Anyone in any age will feel that, ‘something that I didn’t experience before’. And being a man with that legacy, it is something that not any fan would experience, I believe.
Getting old, one starts to appreciate the smallest and the biggest things in a more pure way, ‘the air keeping us alive is thinner tan the skin’ - he said.
William Shatner is just as old as the space technology race. Sci-Fi has a good part of science behind it, it is not a fantasy series. And now he participated in an important manned mission with precise landing control. Unbelievable strength and legacy of the man.

Ok, well I am just another disgruntled Star Trek fan. So, this is definitely just my opinion based on an emotional reaction and not backed up by any statistically sound studies or reports.

Believe it or not, I grew up watching the original series. You see I am in my 60s. Emotionally, I can't and wouldn't argue against "appreciating the smallest and the biggest things in a more pure way, ‘the air keeping us alive is thinner t(h)an the skin’ - he said."

Still, I suppose it is Shatner himself. A nice enough guy and essentially harmless....except. Except that the guy has an ego as big as all of out-doors. Moreover, he has allowed himself to be used as a tool to support space tourism. A tool by none other than Mr. Amazon himself...Also known to me as Mr. Monopoly. The guy who fights tooth and nail against unions in his corporation. So, big stars like Shatner get to go on tourist trips to inner space (just barely cleared the earth's atmosphere). So, he can report on the fragility of the eco-system, even as Monopoly Capitalism proceeds with the systematic destruction of said eco-system. What is wrong with that picture?

While we are on the subject of Star Trek, one of the most puzzling experiences of my entire life occurred while watching a Star Trek episode (original series, probably the first time that episode aired). I was sitting on my couch watching said episode. It was about time travel. Just about the time that a stunned security guard is being beamed up (or was it back down?) from the Enterprise what I later learned was probably a meteor came swooping past my window. (A meteor shower of the same type of meteor that I had witnessed was later reported in the media). Well, high overhead above my house, but clearly visible to me. Not only did it swoop by, but it then seemed to actually swoop back up into the atmosphere. I figure the timing was like ten billion to one, or something along those lines. Highly improbable, but not impossible.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »