Talk about depictions of the future in science fiction and other sources
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: The Star Trek thread

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

I've always liked this technology and i hope we have it in real life one day.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

I've always liked this technology and i hope we have it in real life one day.

"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

-H.G Wells.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Finished Voyager finally, which was quite an interesting ride seeing the crew trapped in the Delta Quadrant. Have to say in regard to this one, I believe they did an excellent job with the first major female Captain in the series. Janeway was scientific and cerebral, and that was highlighted in a different manner to Captain Picard. Of course, Seven of Nine truly was perfection. However, one major thing with this particular Trek, is that I felt like it lacked interesting recurring alien species of the other shows. The Kazon were basically discount Klingons without honor, it wasn't until the Borg returned that Voyager had something more interesting to focus on. The few aliens (aside from the Borg) who I found to be interesting only had a few episodes. One of them in particular (played by Kurtwood Smith) utilized some sort of time weapon to wipe entire civilizations from existence. His storyline and reasoning were much more intriguing than the Kazon, and I wish that species had more screen time.

Aside from, one thing Voyager did much better I felt like was in regard to how it handled Artificial Intelligence. I know that many holds Lt. Commander Data as the exemplar example in all things Trek, but Voyager felt more nuanced in its handling of its EMH doctor, who was easily one of the best characters in the show and even one of the most interesting in the series. There was quite a bit delved into in regarding personhood, theory of mind, how A.I. is perceived within Starfleet and even other civilizations, etc. Don't get me wrong, Measure of a Man is still one of the most classic scenes, but I just mean overall the concept was explored a bit further here, at least when compared to TNG & DS9.

Seriously, sometimes you can just tell when someone is truly passionate about their work. :D

The perfect woman doesn't exi...

So, that concludes classic Trek. Now it's off to Discovery before finishing Picard. Yes, skipping over Enterprise... I remember enough from my childhood, and I intend to leave it that way. While I know the controversy of the modern Trek era, I will go into it with open eyes and not let those biases cloud my judgement of it. Really, I think some people forget that all Trek tends to be a bit progressive in its message regarding the future, so the same people upset about Discovery may very well have been up in arms about the original Trek displaying an interracial kiss. I'll decide for myself, and hopefully it will at least be an enjoyable trip into the future as the other series have been.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

-H.G Wells.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Going through these shows literally at warp speed. :D After finishing the first 2 seasons of Discovery, I can somewhat understand some of the problems people may have had with it, though I feel as if all the negativity was misplaced, and there was certainly no reason to be needlessly complaining about so called "wokeness" when Star Trek as a whole was always progressive, as I've stated before. The actual issues which I do get were inconsistencies with the earlier Treks, but I feel like they did try to address them. Klingons need hair dammit! It may not be the best Trek, but it's still enjoyable, and seems like just like with Star Trek tradition, hits its stride right about Season 3.

Seriously, what is it with Star Trek and its 3rd seasons being their defining points? I've even heard this about Enterprise, so I may just decide to give it a chance after all.

Strange New Worlds on the other hand... I'm going to have to say it, is the best modern Trek I've seen, (so far) especially in terms of the classic feel. It's much more like TNG and what I'm assuming TOS were like, just spectacular all around with its depiction of a more utopian future. That Enterprise look has to be my favorite out of all of them, so bright and opulent.

This is exactly why I love Star Trek.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin