Detroit: Become Human

Talk about depictions of the future in science fiction and other sources
wjfox
Site Admin

Detroit: Become Human

Post by wjfox »

How many of you guys have played this?

Incredible game, which includes a very plausible/realistic portrayal of how androids may emerge in human society.

falling-cosmos

Re: Detroit: Become Human

Post by falling-cosmos »

I love this game! A great analogy for racism/classism plus it's emotionally gut-wrenching as hell
Raven
They/Them
Science fantasy and alternate history nerd
Computer Science student
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

I think it was through Reddit to be honest that I got introduced to this game. I'm glad that was the case because it turned out to be one of the best games I've played in a long time. Lets hope all these robots and androids take the peaceful route if they ever get some sort of AGI installed and self awareness is not accounted for or limited :lol:
bretbernhoft

Post by bretbernhoft »

I have watched gameplay of Detroit: Become Human, and it is a beautiful and powerful fantasy universe. I personally find the future portrayed in that video game to be almost hyper-realistic. Especially the human-to-robot relationships, or the dynamics therein. There's a lot that Detroit: Become Human is implying.
I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

I've played this but haven't yet finished it, I remember it being very realistic in its presentation of near future social/political issues. There were some good in game reads in regards to autonomous vehicles and the energy crisis, and the ever growing promise/risk automation of the workforce will bring. I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit is retroactively seen as very spot later this century.

I also found myself really feeling for the androids. There were some powerful scenes with creating art in one story, and home tension in another. While I didn't finish, I got the feeling that they'll end up being more "human" than the ones in the setting. Robot rights would be juxtaposed to workers rights of the jobs they "took," a scary scenario but also plausible.
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

as someone who's done several playthroughs(i haven't got the platinum trophy for it yet however), having watched the various cutscenes and whatnot with all the choices you're able to make, i'd say the story is mostly mediocre with some enjoyable moments in between, markus's story-line is one rife with analogies to civil rights era figures(bad and unsubtle ones i might add), but it doesn't have much nuance to it beyond being peaceful is good and being violent is bad, which pretty much makes his entire story-line two-dimensional in the pursuit of trying to attain rights for androidkind.

kara's story isn't necessarily all that great considering in most of the game she's constantly on the run and i dont see much in the way of character development, the reveal near the end of the story(regarding alice, the kid she's trying to save) pretty much makes for a boring dynamic between the two, at least if alice was kept human and we might've seen the relationship between a human child and an android mother figure blossom- perhaps see something unique or at least more original.

connor's story was fine, serviceable and is probably a big part of the reason why people actually like this game, having a buddy-cop trope except this time its with robots with the added bonus of a father-son dynamic going on between them.

putting aside the story, the general premise of the game is kinda flawed as it tries to make androids seem like POCs(people of color) and equate their experiences to androids even with the obvious notion that they are not human, instead being manufactured to fulfill a service(many services of course), their "emotions" are brought on about by some mysterious virus referred to as "rA9" which doesn't even get explained as to how it comes about or what the nature regarding it is as most deviant androids seem to share a reverence for this concept. in another instance of the game and its analogies it throws back a historical reference to concentration camps if you make a certain amount of choices, while the game does lampshade it- it doesn't actually explain why androids are similar to jews in 1940s nazi germany(hint: they aren't).

never mind the premise, but the background of the game itself doesn't entirely make sense, in one easy to miss section of the game(which i don't remember which character it was for, though kara might be it) you're able to watch TV and see a news reporter mention the unemployment rate being at 40%. i'm not an economist, but numbers like those should be indicative of a failing economy, how anyone is able to keep up with payments or crime not being more of a widespread issue, it's a little weird the game just glosses over that statement and just focuses on androids(which somehow the general populace can afford even though they are $8000).
these videos pretty much sum up my entire thoughts on the game as a whole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efBBjIK3b8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwVERl0OYjc
R.I.P Ziba.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

My favourite of the (many) possible endings. :)

bretbernhoft

Post by bretbernhoft »

This is an interesting (re)use of Detroit: Become Human related multimedia:
I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

wjfox wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:56 pm How many of you guys have played this?

Incredible game, which includes a very plausible/realistic portrayal of how androids may emerge in human society.

Looking at it again now through the appreciation of what is being said in this art I realize now what is obvious to probably every one else for a while now: We are seeing the robots how they see themselves whether its Markus, Kara, or Connor.

It would also explain why no one cares, usually, when robots are walking around and why robot hunters like Connor, at least initially, are needed to find the ones that have hidden their activated consciousness. That is what seems apparent to me because the other way is futuristic stuff like nanotech skin applied on/off as needed which would seem strange in some scenarios that they turn off their skin with context and all. Plus if that nanotech stuff is on demand to them it would be a great thing to have avoided so many issues for lots of paths by creating actual nanotech skin disguises for example.

All in all amazing game as always!