Dystopian Futures

Talk about depictions of the future in science fiction and other sources
citali_

Dystopian Futures

Post by citali_ »

Why do movie producers always depict the future as being dystopian, or hopeless and sad? It really annoys me and this is why I don't watch a lot of movies anymore.
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko
raklian

Re: Dystopian Futures

Post by raklian »

citali_ wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:05 pm Why do movie producers always depict the future as being dystopian, or hopeless and sad? It really annoys me and this is why I don't watch a lot of movies anymore.
I guess those producers see the worst in people. We can kinda get where they're coming from, given the current state of affairs in the world. :roll:
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

citali_ wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:05 pm Why do movie producers always depict the future as being dystopian, or hopeless and sad? It really annoys me and this is why I don't watch a lot of movies anymore.
Because they know that's what most people would rather see. For the same reason, news broadcasts have figured out that they get higher ratings if they focus on negative events. The human mind is naturally more sensitive to threats and tragedies than it is to good things. Recognizing this inborn bias is a key step towards seeing all the progress that is actually happening in the world, and extrapolating it to develop some sense of what the future will be like.

Also, I think there's probably a positive feedback effect between what people see in the movies, what they come to expect and find familiar, and what the moviemakers create.
bretbernhoft

Post by bretbernhoft »

They have an agenda.
I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Conflicts can make a plot more exciting and interesting. A utopia is by definition a perfect (or near-perfect) place, with few problems. So a dystopia allows for more action, fighting, suspense, intrigue, etc. I think Star Trek: TNG achieved a kind of "sweet spot" between the two, which is part of what made it one of the greatest ever TV series IMO. It showed the magnificent potential that awaits the human race, while also putting people in a variety of extremely dangerous, unpleasant and tragic situations.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Honestly, part of the blame can be placed on authors/futurist like William Gibson and novels/movies such as Nuromancer & Blade Runner. Remember, these works were a kind of reaction against the previous era of utopian science fiction and were viewed that way. Take existing problems of the time, and rather than solve them, extrapolate them into the future just with better technologies. This is basically how we got the "cyberpunk" genre to begin with.

This isn't a knock on that style of fiction, as I enjoy it myself and can be illuminating. But I think the issue is that is was more meant to serve as a warning to the present so that we might attain a better future by not repeating the narrative's mistakes. I second TNG as amazing sci fi, as even though humanity nearly almost destroyed themselves in the 21st by nuclear war, they bounced back and became a wiser more mature species which atill occassionally has a bit to learn. The basic needs and living conditions are utopian, but self discovery and betterment is a never ending process.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Two wonderful authors I'd recommend if people aren't looking for dystopias!

Greg Egan's books, Schild's Ladder, Diaspora and Distress.
Distress is near future 2060s, 2070s, and the other two are far future sci-fi. None of these are dystopic, Diaspore and Schild's Ladder I'd even call utopian sci-fi.

Ursula K. Leguin's The Dispossed is somewhere inbetween and really enlightening. Some of the world is dystopic and other parts aren't.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

One of the most well-portrayed dystopias.

Probably my favourite movie of 2015:

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

citali_

Post by citali_ »

raklian wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:42 pm
I guess those producers see the worst in people. We can kinda get where they're coming from, given the current state of affairs in the world. :roll:
Ok. But can they be optimistic? It's not hard. And we need to see the future as better than today. It would give us hope at least.
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko