Years and Years

Talk about depictions of the future in science fiction and other sources
MythOfProgress

Years and Years

Post by MythOfProgress »

Back before I got into the notion of collapse and how it affected our world, there was a miniseries i watched before getting involved in it- Years and Years which was released way back in 2019, this series interested me considering it seemed like a realistic depiction of the future and the capabilities/new technologies that would come about in our lifetimes, the sociological, economic and psychological ramifications of transhumanism in its beginning stages, the worrying political developments that we'd experience and the slow brunt of climate change which we would fix inevitably with technology. The plot/show takes place from 2019-2034, with some of the developments below in between these years.

Flash-foward to 2022, and while this show mostly seems juvenile and undeveloped in some respects(mostly the story, some of the dialogue counts, but the ending is the worst as it seems to end on a positive note despite the ongoing chaos of society, as well as a revolt being made against the prime minister lady which in my opinion was too easy as all the prisoners just filmed themselves being in a concentration camp with their phones and called it a day, as if rampant misinformation didn't exist in this world), some of the predictions do hold up with some added caveats.

-Donald Trump did not win re-election in 2020, although he certainly made a ruckus on 1/6, his former vice-president Mike Pence doesn't seem to be a runner-up for the 2024 elections either.

-Queen Elizabeth II has died and has been succeeded by her son, Charles.

-As of now, China does seem to have a few artificial islands, although none by the name of "Hong Sha Do" which translates to Island of the Red Sands. there hasn't been any nuclear tensions by them as of late(more-so by Russia and North Korea currently.).

-Russia is in the middle of trying to take over Ukraine, with mixed results(initially poised to take over them with ease, but Ukrainian folk have surprisingly proved themselves resilient and resistant in the process, giving them a hard time and Russia has sustained heavy losses, only time will tell where this leads to.)

-UK still seems to be negotiating with European Union regarding the border between Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

-The transhumanist movement is still a bit of a underground thing nowadays, most folks justifiably aren't too fond of the idea of removing body parts(especially usable ones) and implementing machinery in them. A major plot point surrounds this idea though, one of the minor characters do lose a body part in the process of trying to become transhuman as a result of back-alley doctors. No mention of bio-hackers though, so can't tell whether or not bio-engineering takes off.

-Basic household assistant robots aren't really a thing, although i suppose Roombas could count as a close second.

-Chocolate does seem to be getting more expensive nowadays, although it may seem readibly available it is pretty clear cocoa beans will become a lot more rare.

-We did get hit with a global recession, but not in 2026, 2020 instead.
Last edited by MythOfProgress on Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P Ziba.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Re: Years and Years

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Oh wow. I find this to be the weirdest commercial lemme tell ya. And the BBC along with Channel 4 have hosted some of the worst content possible :lol: Maybe once things are more chill we'll see about that mind upload. For now gotta watch out for the strange stuff going on now.