Tron

Talk about depictions of the future in science fiction and other sources
MythOfProgress

Tron

Post by MythOfProgress »

back when i was a lot more enthusiastic about things, tron was(and still does remain) one of the more memorable IPs from Disney i've seen to date, granted not much about it has been done ever since the second film released 12 years ago(which may ultimately be for the best considering how hollywood has a tendency to make these things solely for revenue), from the atmospheric cinematography to the breathtaking visuals, the electronic soundtrack from Daft Punk(whom have now separated) and the digital world-building of the computer realm i got to take a look at, the lore is minimal, spread out over some games, comic books, a TV show and movies of course but was sufficient enough for imagination to fill in the blanks.

the first film was mostly sleeper hit if i recall correctly, the effects being dated but fun in their own right- the second film was where i was introduced to the world of tron, and got to see the digital world i wish i could escape to at times.

Setting aside the fond memories, the technology that is demonstrated in these movies don't seem to have much in the way of real-world equivalent, besides VR- we don't have any technologies that are able to transfer/transmute physical matter into digital matter that exists in a computer world, ISOs(short for Isomorphic Algorithms, which are programs that were able to evolve spontaneously in the Grid) don't exist in the real world, but a similar concept i can think of would be neural networks/artificial intelligence rewriting their own code, lightcycles(bikes that leave behind walls of light that take out opponents), short of that however- the computer world(or the Grid) in tron seems futuristic but modern at the same time, not featuring that much advanced technology which could beat out the real world. anyways, using mohs scale of science fiction hardness(which can be used to gauge how plausible or realistic a certain piece of science fiction is), it seems to be pretty soft science fiction as a whole for the TRON franchise, its fun but the physics don't hold up.
R.I.P Ziba.
ººº

Re: Tron

Post by ººº »

caltrek

Re: Tron

Post by caltrek »

MythOfProgress wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:37 am
its fun but the physics don't hold up.
Nice bottom line statement. Being such a fan of science fiction, I can say that Tron was not my favorite in the genre. Still, I did enjoy watching it, and it was also one of those movies you could watch several times and still get something from a subsequent viewing that maybe you didn't pick up on in the first viewing.

As I dimly recall, it was a work of imagination in which one could begin to take the view of the world of an electron, or at least a being who existed inside of some sort of computational world. Not to be taken too literally, but suggestive of how computers work. I will leave it too more dedicated fans as well as to those more interested in computers, gaming, etc. to opine as to whether it did more harm than good in teaching electronics, physics, principles of computer hardware, etc.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill