Children of Men (2006)

Talk about depictions of the future in science fiction and other sources
MythOfProgress

Children of Men (2006)

Post by MythOfProgress »

ironically enough, in another thread as i was talking about overpopulation- this movie popped inside my feed and i watched it again.

its another apocalyptic movie, although it's not necessarily in the post stage(yet) considering we're set right in the middle of it and in the only surviving pocket of humanity, which is Britain, an authoritarian and xenophobic version of it at least(dont really live in britain and im not too sure of the politics going on there, let me know if you think the Britain from the movie is similar if not the same as Britain in real life?). in both the novel and movie- the background information states that humanity has been plagued with a global infertility crisis- which has meant a slow decay until the inevitable extinction for humankind. the movie is set in 2027(which is a couple of years away for us here in the real world), and it's been 18 years of total infertility(no child has been born and any pregnant people have been unable to have children as they miscarried in the process).

truthfully told, i've only heard a few instances of an infertility crisis affecting males here in the real world as a result of microplastic pollution, but i can only give links to people far more equipped than i am to discuss a matter like that

another additional source.

the technology in the universe of Children of Men seems to be mostly the same as here but with a few additions(this movie mostly relies on single-shot sequences and it shows, there's a lot of freeze-frame bonuses if you're paying attention), there's moving digital billboards on buildings and the sides of buses, as well as flatscreens inside public transport and shops. mostly they show government propaganda and adverts for various medications, some of them including the assisted suicide pill(Quietus). it's telling that the only way people can think of suicide in a situation like that where all hope is pretty much lost for the species but i digress.

cars look the same and beat down, but they do have high-tech displays on the window(in one scene in the movie, they show the speed-o-meter on the windshield window more precisely). adverts in the street show human organs that can be legally purchased in the british organ market.
a few newspaper headlines on a "Test Tube Daisy" dying are shown, which seems to indicate failing attempts from humans at creating artificial wombs(being able to grow fetuses outside of a human body). queen elizabeth II has obviously died at this point.

an anti-government resistance group called the Fishes has risen up as as a result of Britain's government racking up a serious case(s) of human rights abuses and violations, including their xenophobic treatment of immigrants and anyone trying to come to britain for a better life.
R.I.P Ziba.