Talk about depictions of the future in science fiction and other sources
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: The Star Trek thread

Post by wjfox »

Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

After marathoning TNG I'm now going through DS9, (still at S5) :) which I didn't remember as well during my childhood. Have to say, I've really been enjoying it. It really separates itself from the previous series and others by having a more in-depth tone compared to the others. TNG felt like it highlighted more of the utopian side of the 24th century, while DS9 considers more of those who may not share this prosperity.

In a strange way, it's like comparing Mass Effect 1 to 2, the former which focused more on the exploration of new worlds aspect while the latter was more about different characters and their philosophies living it. How do others who have seen DS9 view it?
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

William Shatner Felt Crushed When He Finally Made It to Space. Here's Why
by Fiona MacDonald
October 11, 2022

Introduction:
(Science Alert) William Shatner has made headlines this week with the announcement that his trip into space wasn't the celebration or high note he thought it would be – instead, it felt like a "funeral for planet Earth".

In an excerpt of his new book Boldly Go published exclusively by Variety, the former Star Trek star reveals that while he thought his trip would bring him catharsis and connection, instead he was filled with "overwhelming sadness".

"Everything I had thought was wrong. Everything I had expected to see was wrong," Shatner writes in the Variety excerpt.

"The contrast between the vicious coldness of space and the warm nurturing of Earth below filled me with overwhelming sadness.

"Every day, we are confronted with the knowledge of further destruction of Earth at our hands: the extinction of animal species, of flora and fauna . . . things that took five billion years to evolve, and suddenly we will never see them again because of the interference of mankind. It filled me with dread. My trip to space was supposed to be a celebration; instead, it felt like a funeral."
Read more here: https://www.sciencealert.com/william-s ... heres-why
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

This was a really weird episode.

I mean, I remember enjoying it, but... the science just seemed absurd. Things don't "de-evolve", even with a weird virus.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »