Site Admin

Re: Avatar news and discussions

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

9th May 2022

A teaser trailer for the long-awaited sequel to science fiction epic Avatar has been released online. Avatar: The Way of Water is scheduled to be in cinemas on 16th December 2022.

The original movie received critical acclaim, broke several box office records, and became the highest-grossing film at the time. Its ground-breaking visuals included extensive use of new motion capture techniques, creating richly detailed alien environments, with viewers able to experience even greater immersion through the use of 3D glasses.

Set in the year 2154, Avatar depicted a future in which Earth's natural resources had been depleted, leading a corporation to exploit and mine the lush forested moon of Pandora in the Alpha Centauri star system. This brought humans into conflict with the Na'vi, a species of tall, blue-skinned, sapient humanoids that lived in harmony with nature.

The film explored themes of ecology and environmental conservation, indigenous rights, capitalism, and war. It featured many futuristic technologies including the use of genetically engineered, remote-controlled Na'vi-human hybrids (called "avatars") and mecha suits.

Avatar: The Way of Water, is set more than a decade after the events of the first film. It tells the story of the Sully family, the trouble that follows them and the lengths they go to keep each other safe, the battles they fight to stay alive, and the tragedies they endure.

https://www.futuretimeline.net/videos/8 ... meline.htm

MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

at least there's something good to look forward to.
R.I.P Ziba.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Avatar: The Way of Water Reminds Us that Blockbusters Don’t Have to Look Absolutely Terrible
by Alissa Wilkinson
December 16, 2022

Introduction:
(Vox) I hated the first Avatar movie — like, hated it. It came out in 2009, and I remember tearing off my 3D glasses at its conclusion, livid that I had paid around $18 to watch Dances With Wolves but with blue people. All blockbusters recycle a certain set of tropes, but for some reason Avatar felt trite and silly, as if its much-vaunted groundbreaking visuals were a smokescreen to the fact that nobody remembered to come up with a story that matched.

I overreacted. I know that now. I rewatched Avatar a few weeks ago (on my 3D TV, purchased in the brief period when you could get a 3D TV) and sure, it’s trite and worn. The images are naturally outdated, as to be expected; at this point, it resembles most video games. But what sticks out now is that it looks like something, the product of a fertile visual imagination — James Cameron’s — that thrives on going for broke.

Of course, blockbusters only have one actual purpose: to make money, a great deal of it, as quickly as possible. But audiences don’t care about the box office returns; we’re there to feel something. Some blockbusters generate a feeling of togetherness and belonging. Others inspire terror, or gut-busting laughter. But for my money, the best thing a blockbuster can achieve is an overwhelming sense of awe.

Conclusion:
Will Avatar: The Way of Water reinvigorate the visual attention of the moviegoing public? Probably not. But I know when the first elegant sequence arrived on screen, I sat up straighter, leaned forward, and found myself in a world quite other than my own. I guess a blockbuster, even this one, mostly just exists to make a lot of money. But if a movie can make us transcend ourselves, even just for an hour, I hope we don’t squander that gift
Read more here: https://www.vox.com/culture/23509385/a ... -rate-hfr
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

"Avatar: The Way of Water" Disappointing Debut Irks Disney Investors
by Tim Baysinger & Sara Fischer
December 16, 2022

Introduction:
(Axios) Shares in Disney have dropped by nearly 5% in response to a disappointing debut for its highly anticipated "Avatar" sequel "The Way of Water."

Why it matters: Investors are looking to see whether Disney can increase profitability in its traditional businesses, like theaters and parks, as its streaming losses continue to mount. "Avatar: The Way of Water" needs to bring in at least $2 billion globally over its lifetime to reach profitability.

• Its performance will determine whether the famous James Cameron movie franchise lives on past its second installation.

Details: The sci-fi sequel brought in $134 million in its domestic debut, per Comscore, less than the roughly $150 million Disney initially expected.

• Disney lowered its full-weekend projections on Saturday after the film brought in $53 million in its first two days domestically.
Read more here: https://www.axios.com/2022/12/20/avata ... ing-debut
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ Returns to Top of Box Office
by Eileen AJ Connelly
January 14, 2023

Introduction:
(New York Post) “Avatar: The Way of Water” returned to the top of Friday’s box office, pulling in $7 million in ticket sales, according to IMDB’s Box Office Mojo.

The James Cameron-helmed sequel has sold more than $538.8 million in tickets at US theaters and another $1.22 billion on international screens, bringing it to seventh on the all-time sales list. Cameron said earlier this week the blockbuster, which reportedly needed to gross $2 billion in sales just to break even, will reach that mark soon.

The director also said two more sequels are already in the works.
Read more here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/ ... -AA16lyNS
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill