wjfox
Site Admin

Re: The Elite: Dangerous Thread

Post by wjfox »

Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

wjfox wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:24 am
Dang shame the scale of it is hard to impress upon you in 2D gaming. I still remember the clip on here of the alien craft the mothership is cranking out being so massive so this is just unfortunately game limitations.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

And there we have it. The slow, tragic death spiral of this once great game, which I played from 2015–2019 (along with Time Traveller in multiplayer) and for a time became the best gaming experience I'd ever taken part in.

I really hope a sequel – if it happens – isn't so hyper-focused on combat, and instead works to enrich the AMAZING and VAST galaxy they created.

I simply can't understand how they failed to see this. Poll after poll showed the player community positively screaming for more exploration content.

But instead, we got endless bullshit gimmicks tacked on, a repetitive and dull story about Thargoids, endless delays and bug fixes. And then a final, completely botched expansion pack, with overwhelmingly negative reviews.

And the company Frontier is now in financial dire straits, as this video mentions!

Oh well. Starship Simulator is due out soon, and may recapture some of Elite's earlier magic.

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pm And there we have it. The slow, tragic death spiral of this once great game, which I played from 2015–2019 (along with Time Traveller in multiplayer) and for a time became the best gaming experience I'd ever taken part in.

I really hope a sequel – if it happens – isn't so hyper-focused on combat, and instead works to enrich the AMAZING and VAST galaxy they created.

I simply can't understand how they failed to see this. Poll after poll showed the player community positively screaming for more exploration content.

But instead, we got endless bullshit gimmicks tacked on, a repetitive and dull story about Thargoids, endless delays and bug fixes. And then a final, completely botched expansion pack, with overwhelmingly negative reviews.

And the company Frontier is now in financial dire straits, as this video mentions!

Oh well. Starship Simulator is due out soon, and may recapture some of Elite's earlier magic.

Those were the days Will, even though i doubt we'll meet up anymore. I look forward to watch what games you have in the future and in my opinion, they have lost their way within the game. Time for new horizons and see what Starfield and Starship Simulator has instore over the next few years.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Elite Dangerous was such a magical game. I put so many hours into the beta and later into the initial release. Lost interest by the time the first expansion came out which was really good from what I’ve heard. There will be future space sims, hopefully they can capture Elite’s scale.
raklian

Post by raklian »

erowind wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:12 pm There will be future space sims, hopefully they can capture Elite’s scale.
Absolutely there will be, knowing studios will start utilizing AI as a tool to create games that is impossible to do today.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »