Past Timeline

Got something to say about the past? Say it here!
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Past Timeline

Post by wjfox »

This could be very useful as a guide for organising the sections/pages:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vect ... -670187668
TrueAnimationFan

Post by TrueAnimationFan »

How's the timeline page coming along?
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

TrueAnimationFan wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:38 pm How's the timeline page coming along?
Little or no progress since the last update.

However, I'm taking a week's holiday soon and plan to spend that entire week on Past Timeline. :)
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Some progress on the main "flowchart" for navigating the timeline. Half the images are now done. I'll try to do the rest tomorrow. Will then need to add CSS transitions/links, which lead to each of the big sections (early Universe, young Earth, dinosaurs, etc.).
TrueAnimationFan

wjfox wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:40 pm Some progress on the main "flowchart" for navigating the timeline. Half the images are now done. I'll try to do the rest tomorrow. Will then need to add CSS transitions/links, which lead to each of the big sections (early Universe, young Earth, dinosaurs, etc.).
Can't wait to see the website get another updated layout.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Sneak preview of the "flowchart" I'm creating for the main timeline page (currently viewable on desktop only).

https://www.pasttimeline.net/timeline.htm

This will be different to the homepage, in that you'll be able to switch between numerical years, and historical periods.

I hope to create some nice fade/transition effects when it loads. So first, the Big Bang will fade in from white, then each section below it will fade in, one after the other. Then the years will appear in each rectangle, on a logarithmic scale, i.e. 10 billion BC, 1 billion, 100 million, 10 million and so on, down to 10. I'll do the same for "browse by period", and then do a responsive version for mobiles and tablets.

Once this page is done, I can then work on the subsections with more detailed years.
TrueAnimationFan

How has work on PT been going since late August?
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

TrueAnimationFan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:54 pm How has work on PT been going since late August?
No further progress, unfortunately. I've been incredibly busy in my job, which has reduced my available free time. I think my current plan is to spend the next couple of weekends getting a few more predictions up on Future Timeline, and then a weekend or two after that could be devoted to the timeline/template for Past Timeline.

Oh, also, there's a new assistant joining my department at work, who should help in reducing my workload somewhat!
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I added some CSS transitions here, on the main "Timeline" page, which you'll see if you mouseover (desktop version only).

https://www.pasttimeline.net/timeline.htm

Next, I'll be doing the tablet/mobile versions, which shouldn't take long at all.

I will then do the "Browse by period" option, which might be a bit trickier... lots of geologic eras, centuries, etc. However, I've figured out the transition code for dropping down boxes, so the hardest part is essentially done.

After that, I can begin the first actual timeline entries!
erowind

Post by erowind »

The red has grown on me. It's a really good contrast colour to the blue on FT. I really like the transparency on the year banners, slick but not so minimalist that it loses form.