History of Computers & Internet

Got something to say about the past? Say it here!
Yuli Ban

Re: History of Computers & Internet

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

I first posted this in the Modern History thread, but should probably have posted it in this thread instead:

North America's First Website Turns Thirty Years Old
December 30, 2021

https://www.futurity.org/north-americas ... y-2675172/

Introduction:
(Futurity) As the World Wide Web was poised to begin its transformation of modern communications—and, well, life as we know it—a group of staff at the Department of Energy’s SLAC National Accelerator Lab at Stanford University saw an opportunity to vastly improve the exchange of information within large, international physics collaborations.

That inspiration led to the first website ever created in North America on a server at SLAC.

Physicist Tony Johnson was part of the group known as the WWW Wizards for their role in the project. Today, Johnson works on the control system for the Vera C. Rubin Observatory’s Legacy Survey of Space and Time (LSST) Camera.

On the 30th anniversary of the first website, Johnson recalls the landscape of its birth and shares his thoughts on how the web continues to evolve the way scientists work: (see link to article above the quote box).
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »