The Nostalgia Thread

Got something to say about the past? Say it here!
Yuli Ban

The Nostalgia Thread

Post by Yuli Ban »

Relaunch of the old thread

This thread's all about nostalgia, whether yours or someone else's

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Re: The Nostalgia Thread

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Lurking

Post by Lurking »

Internet used to be an escape from the real world.
Now the real world is an escape from internet.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

erowind

Post by erowind »

Imagine being two years old and your mom sits you down in a cushioned rocking chair in front of her new windows 98 PC. Somewhere along the way this is one the first programs she teaches you how to use and due to not understanding what time is yet really, or perceiving as an adult would, exploring these halls proves to be an infinite adventure.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:20 am

Christ that game was amazing, wasn't it.

Easily in my top 3 of all time. Maybe even #1.

I don't play Elite: Dangerous anymore, but I still occasionally play UT, even after 20 years.

And THIS quote from the video: "The bots are still highly effective at killing you off, especially on Adept and higher difficulty levels. And Steve Polge's bot tech remains some of the most human-like deathmatch AI I've ever seen in gaming." :)
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

One of titles someone can have nostalgia for is Settlers IV, which came out over 20 years ago. I think it's one of the best installments in this classic series of economical RTS games. You expand, build, search for resources, gather resources, turn them into useful items, recruit soldiers, use magic, fight. Modern Anno's are better than modern Settlers, but it was different in the past. There are 5 factions: Romans, Vikings, Mayans, Trojans (in the expansion) and the Dark Tribe. You play differently with each of them, like in the newest Age of Empires. There's a heavy focus on economy and production. You watch as your little settlers walk around carrying things, making things and using things. There are campaigns, scenarios, random maps and multiplayer. The upcoming game will simplify everything, instead of expanding, that's why I don't like it.

Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »