The biggest advancements of the past 13 years

Got something to say about the past? Say it here!
weatheriscool

The biggest advancements of the past 13 years

Post by weatheriscool »

Each one of these would have blown anyones fucking mind back up their ass 20 years earlier. These are things that make and define our times.
1. A.i-Text to image, can tell you nearly anything you want to know and can reason. Bordering on AGI within the next couple of years. There was a time not too long ago where most people thought such wasn't coming for another 40-50 years. If not waiting clear into the 22nd century.
2. Quantum computers-Dozens on the market and more being developed and sold all the time.
3. Rockets that can fly again and again and cost 1/100th the price. Space-x sending up hundreds per year!, Blue orgin, etc. This is opening up space, but this is small fries compared to what the star ship will allow for.
4. Fusion producing more energy then put in. This alone could solve our problems in more ways then one.
5. Rats and fruit flies living twice as long. Anti-aging. This could easily open up the door for humans living longer if the religious assholes don't stop it.
6. VR/AR....Lets just say that in the 1996-2010 period that this tech was thought of as DEAD! Now it has a huge market and is improving yearly.
7. Driverless cars. This tech was talked about in science fiction but now it is on the road and millions of cars and even trucks have it. A.i may only make it better.
8. Genetic enhancement/modification/gene editing and biopritning.

Any of the above define our times as vastly more advanced then any other period before it.
lechwall

Re: The biggest advancements of the past 13 years

Post by lechwall »

Transformers (Machine Learning Model)
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

BCIs/BMIs still have a long way to go, but 13 years ago the notion that paralyzed people would be using their brains to text or browse the internet was almost laughable, and while it's not perfect it's completely doable today even if not widely available to the disabled just yet.
UnixT

Post by UnixT »

weatheriscool wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:12 am Each one of these would have blown anyones fucking mind back up their ass 20 years earlier. These are things that make and define our times.
1. A.i-Text to image, can tell you nearly anything you want to know and can reason. Bordering on AGI within the next couple of years. There was a time not too long ago where most people thought such wasn't coming for another 40-50 years. If not waiting clear into the 22nd century.
2. Quantum computers-Dozens on the market and more being developed and sold all the time.
3. Rockets that can fly again and again and cost 1/100th the price. Space-x sending up hundreds per year!, Blue orgin, etc. This is opening up space, but this is small fries compared to what the star ship will allow for.
4. Fusion producing more energy then put in. This alone could solve our problems in more ways then one.
5. Rats and fruit flies living twice as long. Anti-aging. This could easily open up the door for humans living longer if the religious assholes don't stop it.
6. VR/AR....Lets just say that in the 1996-2010 period that this tech was thought of as DEAD! Now it has a huge market and is improving yearly.
7. Driverless cars. This tech was talked about in science fiction but now it is on the road and millions of cars and even trucks have it. A.i may only make it better.
8. Genetic enhancement/modification/gene editing and biopritning.

Any of the above define our times as vastly more advanced then any other period before it.
Certainly progress is developing very quickly! Many technologies still need to be developed, for example, unmanned vehicles are still far from perfect. But the concept itself is amazing! I'm more interested in the development of artificial intelligence. And what will happen if large corporations create their own versions of artificial intelligence and then try to combine it all into one super project. I think if this happens in the near future, then we are waiting for strong changes in all areas of life.