My random thoughts

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
funkervogt

Re: My random thoughts

Post by funkervogt »

Imagine the terrifying creatures you could encounter in lifelike VR.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

The snarky argument that human cryonics is futile since "No one would be interested in thawing you out in the future" is flawed for two reasons:

1) Even if none of your immediate relatives or close friends were still alive, strangers who were interested in history and anthropology would be interested in thawing you out to talk to you. Just look at how many people are interested in obscure archaeological subjects today, and at how much effort was spent recovering and analyzing mummies and Otzi the Iceman.

2) The cost of safely thawing out humans from cryostasis will drop as technology improves, until it will be affordable for almost anyone. All it will take to thaw you out is one archaeologist who does a GoFundMe.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

The Fermi Paradox solution that says aliens always lose interest in exploring space is flawed and irrational, IMO. Even if the aliens themselves preferred to indulge in hedonism, VR, or whatever on their home planet, it would be trivially easy to create autonomous, self-replicating machines to do the exploring for them. All they would need to do is set it up once, let the machines do the rest, and periodically check the radio transmissions that the machines sent back to the home planet about their findings.

This solution to the Paradox also assumes that alien species are full of individuals who are all of one mind and agree to stay on their home planet, forever. From what we've observed of literally every species on Earth (including our own), that's highly unlikely to be the case.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

I just saw a scene in a scary movie where a man was in a dark cave with a monster, and he had to fumble around striking matches to make enough light to see where it was. The fact that the matches kept quickly blowing out or burning out added to the suspense.

It made me think about how posthumans and intelligent machines would deal with the situation. They'd have much better night vision and hearing, so they'd be able to track monsters in the dark better. I imagine they'd also have better senses of "touch," so they'd feel disturbances in airflow and air temperature that would indicate where the monster was.

Lastly, they'd have active sensing abilities, like turning on LEDs on their bodies (forehead? tip of finger?) to illuminate their surroundings, or making "click" noises to do sonar.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

This short documentary shows the ingenuity of Cuban mechanics who keep the vehicles running in spite of the lack of spare parts from overseas. It's common for vintage cars to still ply the roads, using components from a variety of other vehicles made in different countries. Some items, like seats, have non-automotive origins.

This makes me wonder if the same kinds of Frankenstein vehicles will become common throughout the world thanks to robot mechanics. Like the Cubans, machines can be expected to have expert-level car repair skills and an encyclopedic knowledge of components, their compatibilities, and how to make them compatible with each other. Moreover, the robots will work for free, which will make it financially feasible to repair old cars that would today count as "totaled" thanks to their repair costs exceeding their resale values. Machines would also not have the same aesthetic tastes and OCD tendencies as humans, so it wouldn't bother them to install a replacement seat in a car that didn't match the others.

I think it would be cool to see 50-year-old cars still on the roads someday, with combinations of different parts.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

It's typical for me to have different videos, podcasts, and songs playing across different browser tabs and different devices (PC, smartphone, TV) at once. If I get bored with one, I pause it, and then switch to another.

The same phenomenon will doubtless be common in the Metaverse. Wearing your VR goggles, it will be possible to choose between multiple different experiences (e.g. - first-person shooting games, virtual attendance of live sports games, hangouts in virtual lounges) happening at the same time. I predict it will be common for people to rapidly "toggle" between different virtual environments, so your avatar might be talking and moving around one second, and then might go still, be ghosted out, or vanish the next, indicating you've switched to a different virtual environment.

It also kind of reminds me of how young people will commit to going to a certain party on a Friday night, but then switch at the last minute because they suddenly get invited to a different party with more popular people.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Someday, AIs will be able to imitate the styles of long-dead artists by studying the works they left behind. Among other things, that means AI architects will be able to build new Frank Lloyd Wright buildings.
https://www.designboom.com/architecture ... 1-30-2022/

Advanced technologies will lead to an unpredictable mash-up of old and new. Imagine people never dying thanks to medical immortality, and having 1,000 year olds around to weigh in on current events, or long-dead celebrities resurrected as androids loaded with their personality profiles.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

FIVR will let you explore the world at size scales totally different from that of a human. For example, you could play a game where you inhabited Godzilla's body and destroyed Tokyo, or where you were shrunk down to three inches tall and had to navigate the wonders and horrors of an ordinary lawn.

You could do this in the real world as well by using a VR setup to control an actual robot that was very large or (more likely given cost and safety factors) very small.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

FIVR will let you explore the world at size scales totally different from that of a human. For example, you could play a game where you inhabited Godzilla's body and destroyed Tokyo, or where you were shrunk down to three inches tall and had to navigate the wonders and horrors of an ordinary lawn.

You could do this in the real world as well by using a VR setup to control an actual robot that was very large or (more likely given cost and safety factors) very small. You might have a small robot that you could take over to play with your pets at their scale.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Lurking wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:25 am Dumb thought: Vampires would become irrelevant with the rise of posthumans.
I don't think vampires exist. However, if they do, then mass surveillance will uncover them in the future. With everyone being watched, anomalous people who didn't have official identification, or who were extremely old according to records but looked young, would be uncovered.

However, the ability to produce blood in labs will also allow vampires to exist without hurting anyone else. (They probably could already, simply by buying blood banks and consuming a small fraction of the product.)

Posthumans will also have superhuman traits, which will make them the equals of vampires in terms of things like strength, speed, and senses.