My random thoughts

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
funkervogt

Re: My random thoughts

Post by funkervogt »

A person of average artistic talent could probably use DALL-E 2 to secretly make artwork that is good enough to gain admittance into a highly ranked art school, and then continue using it to complete course assignments. This new reality will create more than one dilemma.

If computers can let anyone create works of art, then what value do people gifted with naturally high artistic abilities have anymore?
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

funkervogt wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:58 pm A person of average artistic talent could probably use DALL-E 2 to secretly make artwork that is good enough to gain admittance into a highly ranked art school, and then continue using it to complete course assignments. This new reality will create more than one dilemma.

If computers can let anyone create works of art, then what value do people gifted with naturally high artistic abilities have anymore?
The same value they have now.

Why do you think the phrase "starving artist" is such a cliche?

Commercially successful artists are not what I consider to be the great artists of our time. Rather, they understand both art and commerce. There are all sorts that are dedicated to their art, but don't know too much about commerce, or don't care to know too much about commerce.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Driving down the highway, I'm struck by how much space is taken up by grassy medians, and how much money is wasted sending men out to mow them. I hope we make better use of them someday by, say, planting fruit trees on them, or installing solar panels over them. Robots could do the work of tending to either.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

This gallery of humans with highly unique genetic traits gives some insight into what we will look like in the distant future, once deliberate genetic and physical modification techniques are advanced and accepted. We will be more diverse as a species than ever, and will coexist with human-like species and androids of all types.
https://www.boredpanda.com/unique-people-genetics/
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Let's say the rich 1% get access to AGI, nanomachines, and human augmentation tech first, and use it to kill off the pesky 99%.

Why should we assume things would be stable after that, and the 1% would live happily forever? Wouldn't the top 0.01% start getting annoyed at the 0.99%, and kill the latter off as well? The higher up you go, don't people get more psychopathic, anyway?

Once we start down this road, I suspect it ends with only Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos left standing, and hurling billion-machine armies at each other.

And whoever wins that war ends up eventually being killed by one of his own AGIs that went rogue later.

So if you find yourself staring down the barrel of a laser gun in 20 years as the Davos Global Elites sic their forces on you, at least comfort yourself with the knowledge that their time is coming soon as well.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

funkervogt wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:34 pm Let's say the rich 1% get access to AGI, nanomachines, and human augmentation tech first, and use it to kill off the pesky 99%.

Why should we assume things would be stable after that, and the 1% would live happily forever? Wouldn't the top 0.01% start getting annoyed at the 0.99%, and kill the latter off as well? The higher up you go, don't people get more psychopathic, anyway?

Once we start down this road, I suspect it ends with only Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos left standing, and hurling billion-machine armies at each other.

And whoever wins that war ends up eventually being killed by one of his own AGIs that went rogue later.

So if you find yourself staring down the barrel of a laser gun in 20 years as the Davos Global Elites sic their forces on you, at least comfort yourself with the knowledge that their time is coming soon as well.
In a weird way I do not suppose it is THAT drastic at the very .1% level. Some selfish folks there may be that is true but if the inheritance class at even 1% is any indication their children are very liberal and even that liberalism will be tested once Internet of Things and all gives a constant 24/7 global public picture of what is going down anywhere in the world. The ones who stay liberal so to say would just be "there" chill as usual. If anything they would like to be away from the douchebags of the world.

I'm sure they know the danger of going down that road of leaving only AI, Robots, and a few humans with some being cloned to be alive can do. Anything smaller than the 1% when you start going higher wants to make all these tech innovations like space travel happen but not cause such an event as to eliminate humanity by being so strict with who is allowed to live. That is the general idea I get from seeing how things are advancing.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

After watching "The Batman" and the last few episodes of "The Boys," I realize how future androids will have abilities similar to those of Batman and Homelander.

1) They will be bulletproof. It wouldn't be hard to make their skin and flesh bulletproof, at least to smaller bullets (.50 caliber armor piercing rounds and bigger are a different story). They could also wear bulletproof armor and clothing. Since the androids would be stronger than humans, the weight of the protective garb wouldn't be as much of a hindrance to them as it would for a human. Note this also means they will be punch- and kick-proof.

2) They will be very skillful hand-to-hand fighters. Androids will be programmed with advanced martial arts skills. This will include strikes and tactics that result in incapacitation and non-permanent body damage rather than death.

3) They will be able to survive jumping off buildings. Up to a few stories, an android could safely jump down to the ground, unaided, and not suffer damage. Higher than that, they would be coordinated and skilled enough to more gradually work their way down to the ground by jumping from one ledge to a lower one, back-and-forth repeatedly. If they were wearing something like Batman's cape, which can convert into hang glider wings, or into a flying wing suit, an android could jump off any tall building and safely land on the ground.

4) They will be listening to you nearly everywhere. Homelander has superhuman hearing, meaning he can hear people talking throughout a large building, even several walls or even floors separate them from him. Androids will also have very sensitive hearing, though I think there are real-world limits preventing it from being quite as good as Homelander's. However, androids could work around this by leaving tiny, hidden, mobile listening devices all around a place, and listening to the feeds in real time as they did other things. Like the characters in "The Boys," you'd be afraid to say anything bad about a particular android even if it wasn't in your vicinity.

So when I watch a scene like this, where Batman beats up a crowd of bad guys so skillfully that none of them are paralyzed or killed, and is barely phased by a gunshot to his chest, I realize it's something we'll see in the future.

This will be real:
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

I agree that the decline of smaller newspapers, serving towns and midsized cities, has been unfortunate and resulted in the loss of a lot of good journalism and interesting insights about local people and events. However, AGI will revive the sector in the future, and we'll have access to even more stories and information than we did in the small newspaper heyday.
https://apnews.com/article/journalism-u ... b4dcaa181b
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

The last American who won a Medal of Honor in WWII died.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/0 ... s-00043891

Once machines are doing the fighting, this won't happen anymore. 500 years after a conflict, the minds of the robots that fought in it will still be alive and accessible. You'll be able to watch instant replays of their experiences in FIVR.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

funkervogt wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:26 pm The last American who won a Medal of Honor in WWII died.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/0 ... s-00043891

Once machines are doing the fighting, this won't happen anymore. 500 years after a conflict, the minds of the robots that fought in it will still be alive and accessible. You'll be able to watch instant replays of their experiences in FIVR.
That somewhat assumes humans survive robot wars...