My random thoughts

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Nanotechandmorefuture

Re: My random thoughts

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:58 pm
funkervogt wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:26 pm The last American who won a Medal of Honor in WWII died.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/0 ... s-00043891

Once machines are doing the fighting, this won't happen anymore. 500 years after a conflict, the minds of the robots that fought in it will still be alive and accessible. You'll be able to watch instant replays of their experiences in FIVR.
That somewhat assumes humans survive robot wars...
Hence the premise of the Cyberpunk 2077 corporate wars or any war in that universe. What is left alive are cyborg & androids with cyborgs being the people who refuse to live in Night (Nightmare for some) City. Also why in the game you notice there is an insistence to take the "cyberpsychos" alive and being chided when you do not thus getting paid less. These cyberpsychos are not crazy but rather androids with human consciousness in them going nuts. One of a few things I gather from what is presented in that artwork.

The other part is avoiding a bit of that and just having genetic modified humans living with some choosing to be cyborg or androids with human consciousness inside of them like main character V in game. All possibilities can exist not just an either or!
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:50 am
Vakanai wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:58 pm
funkervogt wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:26 pm The last American who won a Medal of Honor in WWII died.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/0 ... s-00043891

Once machines are doing the fighting, this won't happen anymore. 500 years after a conflict, the minds of the robots that fought in it will still be alive and accessible. You'll be able to watch instant replays of their experiences in FIVR.
That somewhat assumes humans survive robot wars...
Hence the premise of the Cyberpunk 2077 corporate wars or any war in that universe. What is left alive are cyborg & androids with cyborgs being the people who refuse to live in Night (Nightmare for some) City. Also why in the game you notice there is an insistence to take the "cyberpsychos" alive and being chided when you do not thus getting paid less. These cyberpsychos are not crazy but rather androids with human consciousness in them going nuts. One of a few things I gather from what is presented in that artwork.

The other part is avoiding a bit of that and just having genetic modified humans living with some choosing to be cyborg or androids with human consciousness inside of them like main character V in game. All possibilities can exist not just an either or!
Oh I agree - I was more speaking about a Terminator situation.
citali_

Post by citali_ »

I'm excited about my birthday this September. But I have to tell everyone my real age is 22. :? Sorry about that everyone. No more secrets! Lol.
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

citali_ wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:08 am But I have to tell everyone my real age is 22.
Why's that, if it's okay to ask?
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Being able to see infrared light, specifically, in the 1 micrometer wavelength range, would be like the ultimate night vision since every living thing is hot enough to emit that kind of light. We are literally "glowing" all the time.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

In the sci-fi book The Killing Star, aliens send electronic transmissions to Earth, which contain computer viruses. When we receive and analyze them, we unwittingly infect our own machines with it. Fascinating premise. It means that even listening for alien signals can be dangerous.

funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

DALL-E 2 and Midjourney AI seem to have emerged from nowhere and produce artwork that is as good as skilled human artists. I never expected such a development would happen BEFORE the invention of an affordable robot that could flip burgers as well as a human teenager. The technology is advancing "out of order," and I'm sure the future holds more surprises in this regard.

Whatever the case, it's clear to me that humans won't be able to retain a monopoly over career fields that demand "creativity" and "empathy." Machines will get better at those things as well.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

One thing I look forward to quantum computers doing is discovering every possible type of technology that could exist (given our knowledge of science), filling in whatever gaps exist in our current corpus of technology (the bicycle and the electric slow cooker were invented unusually late), and also making us aware of "stranded technologies" that would have existed had defunct technology paradigms lasted longer. For example, how good could VHS tapes have become had DVDs not been invented?

I predict that the Big List of Optimized Technologies will someday be present in the files of every AGI, so if any of them ever crash-landed alone on an alien planet, it could build optimal machines with whatever was available, and bootstrap itself to the next point of optimality again and again until it could develop the whole planet or build a space rocket to escape.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

funkervogt wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:16 pm DALL-E 2 and Midjourney AI seem to have emerged from nowhere and produce artwork that is as good as skilled human artists. I never expected such a development would happen BEFORE the invention of an affordable robot that could flip burgers as well as a human teenager. The technology is advancing "out of order," and I'm sure the future holds more surprises in this regard.

Whatever the case, it's clear to me that humans won't be able to retain a monopoly over career fields that demand "creativity" and "empathy." Machines will get better at those things as well.
I believe STEM should be able to hold out for a bit if I'm not mistaken. What happens after that once the money is fully digital and all the new tech that is advancing in spurts in some areas gets more involved in our lives who knows.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

The conflict with the first hostile AGI could have some similarities to the COVID-19 pandemic.

1) The AGI first appears and catches humanity off-guard.

2) Humans suffer serious losses due to unpreparedness and avoidable mistakes.

3) Humans rally and use their best technology (perhaps in the form of a friendly AGI or a very powerful narrow AI that can't defect) to turn the tide against the hostile AGI.

4) The hostile AGI's power is slowly whittled down, but it isn't fully exterminated since it can always find obscure corners of the internet to hide in, or go into hibernation, or find help from an extremist human or group of humans. Its presence and the damage is causes are only reduced to a tolerable level, and humans learn to live with the problem indefinitely.