My random thoughts

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
ººº

Re: My random thoughts

Post by ººº »

1. It will be a relatively long time between the arrival of settlers on Mars/Moon/Space and the first baby born there.
  2. Tests on animals (or humans) will be progressively replaced by robots.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

The fact that a few, well-placed bullets shut down electrical service to 45,000 homes for four days makes me realize we should expect to lose most of the power grid on the first day of a war with AGI, even if no nuclear weapons are used.

And last week's grounding of all planes in America thanks to a computer code error makes me realize we'll also lose that on the first day.

You should prepare to spend a lot of time at home, burning wood in your fireplace to keep warm.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Sci fi film idea: A hostile AGI attacks humanity with a zombie virus it created.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Paris Hilton just had an IVF baby that was carried by a surrogate mother. This method of childbearing has become common among celebrities and rich women. When human cloning gets safe and at least somewhat socially accepted, I predict that same group will lead the way making use of it as well.

For celebrities, making clones is actually a great way to ensure their children's success since the clones could coast off the fame and roles their parents established.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

How different technology paradigms define each generation

Gen X - Remember a time before personal computing devices existed and before there were any computer/video games.

Gen Y - Last to remember what it was like to be unplugged from the internet. First generation to experience social media. 

Gen Z - First to be online and to have personal devices from infancy. 

Gen AA - First to never know a time when there wasn't a Turing Test machine that it could talk to and ask questions of whenever they wanted.

Gen AB - Last to ever have to work jobs to survive.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

I just found this article about U.S. soldiers based in Poland who give Ukrainian soldiers telephone advice on how to fix and maintain U.S.-donated weapons that the Ukrainians are unfamiliar with. https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... 124dcea5c8
“A lot of times if they’re on the front line, they won’t do a video because sometimes (cell service) is a little spotty,” said a U.S. maintainer. “They’ll take pictures and send it to us through the chats and we sit there and diagnose it.”

There were times, he said, when they’ll get a picture of a broken howitzer, and the Ukrainian will say, “This Triple 7 just blew up — what do we do?”

And, in what he said was a remarkable new skill, the Ukrainians can now put the split weapon back together. “They couldn’t do titanium welding before, they can do it now,” said the U.S. soldier, adding that “something that was two days ago blown up is now back in play.”
Whenever intelligent robots become widespread in military service, remarkable feats of repair will become common. I'm reminded of the WWII Battle of Kursk, where the intensity of the fighting was so great that some German tanks were disabled by damage, repaired, and sent back into battle four or five times. Many people involved in the battle, including repairmen, didn't sleep at all for almost a week.

Likewise, machine repairmen will be able to make Frankenstein weapons in the field out of spare parts belonging to different weapons. Again, I'm reminded of the Germans in WWII, who combined tank chassis made at a captured Czechoslovak factory with captured Soviet 76.2mm artillery guns to make the Marder III tank destroyer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marder_III
As they look to the future, they are planning to get some commercial, off-the-shelf translation goggles. That way, when they talk to each other they can skip the interpreters and just see the translation as they speak, making conversations easier and faster.
Within ten years, you won't need to call a human to be told how to fix your artillery gun, or any other piece of equipment. Through advanced AR glasses with built-in microphones and forward-facing cameras, you'll be able to communicate with a Turing Test-capable chatbot that will visually recognize the piece of equipment in front of you along with whatever is wrong with it, understand your spoken questions, and then walk you through the repair process through a combination of verbal instructions and digital images projected over your field of view.

In machine-run armies, equipment will probably be LESS standardized than it is in today's human armies thanks to the machines' much superior ability to use, maintain and repair different kinds of equipment. This scene from The Second Renaissance, where we see the ragtag composition of the machine army, is actually not inaccurate.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

I just found this article about U.S. soldiers based in Poland who give Ukrainian soldiers telephone advice on how to fix and maintain U.S.-donated weapons that the Ukrainians are unfamiliar with. https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... 124dcea5c8
“A lot of times if they’re on the front line, they won’t do a video because sometimes (cell service) is a little spotty,” said a U.S. maintainer. “They’ll take pictures and send it to us through the chats and we sit there and diagnose it.”

There were times, he said, when they’ll get a picture of a broken howitzer, and the Ukrainian will say, “This Triple 7 just blew up — what do we do?”

And, in what he said was a remarkable new skill, the Ukrainians can now put the split weapon back together. “They couldn’t do titanium welding before, they can do it now,” said the U.S. soldier, adding that “something that was two days ago blown up is now back in play.”
Whenever intelligent robots become widespread in military service, remarkable feats of repair will become common. I'm reminded of the WWII Battle of Kursk, where the intensity of the fighting was so great that some German tanks were disabled by damage, repaired, and sent back into battle four or five times. Many people involved in the battle, including repairmen, didn't sleep at all for almost a week.

Likewise, machine repairmen will be able to make Frankenstein weapons in the field out of spare parts belonging to different weapons. Again, I'm reminded of the Germans in WWII, who combined tank chassis made at a captured Czechoslovak factory with captured Soviet 76.2mm artillery guns to make the Marder III tank destroyer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marder_III
As they look to the future, they are planning to get some commercial, off-the-shelf translation goggles. That way, when they talk to each other they can skip the interpreters and just see the translation as they speak, making conversations easier and faster.
Within ten years, you won't need to call a human to be told how to fix your artillery gun, or any other piece of equipment. Through advanced AR glasses with built-in microphones and forward-facing cameras, you'll be able to communicate with a Turing Test-capable chatbot that will visually recognize the piece of equipment in front of you along with whatever is wrong with it, understand your spoken questions, and then walk you through the repair process through a combination of verbal instructions and digital images projected over your field of view.

In machine-run armies, equipment will probably be LESS standardized than it is in today's human armies thanks to the machines' much superior ability to use, maintain and repair different kinds of equipment. This scene from The Second Renaissance, where we see the ragtag composition of the machine army, is actually not inaccurate.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

I heard someone say that they like ChatGPT because it could function as a "translator" that made everyone sound smart. I'd prefer a personal assistant AI that could make most people's words shorter and simpler. In trying to sound smart, too often people use bigger words or more words than they need to, and they also use rhetoric to mask or to bloat whatever their true idea or message is.

If you also equipped your personal assistant AI with the ability to read human biometrics and to do real-time psychoanalysis, most human interaction could be boiled down to even simpler levels that would make our animal natures and true intentions clear. So many long-winded and oblique statements could be translated to things like:

"I don't like you."

"You made me mad."

"I want to have sex with you."

"I don't want to do it."
ººº

Post by ººº »

funkervogt wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:11 pm I heard someone say that they like ChatGPT because it could function as a "translator" that made everyone sound smart. I'd prefer a personal assistant AI that could make most people's words shorter and simpler. In trying to sound smart, too often people use bigger words or more words than they need to, and they also use rhetoric to mask or to bloat whatever their true idea or message is.

If you also equipped your personal assistant AI with the ability to read human biometrics and to do real-time psychoanalysis, most human interaction could be boiled down to even simpler levels that would make our animal natures and true intentions clear. So many long-winded and oblique statements could be translated to things like:

"I don't like you."

"You made me mad."

"I want to have sex with you."

"I don't want to do it."
I am in agreement with your comment.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

I am in agreement with your comment.
AI revised to: "I agree with you."