My random thoughts

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Vakanai

Re: My random thoughts

Post by Vakanai »

funkervogt wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:52 pmSure, there are basic, high-level things we 99% agree on (our species should not be exterminated
Basically the biggest goal is it should at least be aligned with that I hope.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

funkervogt wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:17 pm Even something as simple as municipal trash service will be affected by AI and robots. The way things work now is there is a designated trash collection day each week where garbage trucks stop in front of each house, empty the homeowners' trash cans into their vehicle, and drive it to the landfill. This is actually an inefficient way to remove waste. Along a particular collection route, the amount of trash its inhabitants are throwing out fluctuates from week to week. One week, the garbage truck might be perfectly full, the other it might be half empty, and the next, it might be overflowing and forced to do two trips to the landfill. Moreover, households that consistently generate large amounts of trash pay the same, flat fee as households that consistently generate less.

Once AIs are running things and each household has a robot capable of doing manual labor, trash collection will change. They would monitor the volume and weight of trash that their household had accumulated, and once the households located along a specific garbage collection route had built up enough trash to match the garbage truck's capacity, the garbage truck would be sent out to get it. Routes might also constantly change to account for geographic variations in trash accumulation. As a result, there would be no set "trash day," and households would pay different amounts of money for the removal of different amounts of waste.

This model would also apply to recycling. You might have a bin devoted to used aluminum products that doesn't get collected until it fills up, which might take months.
Robots would also be able to manage backyard composting piles, further reducing the need to have waste picked up. The compost would have obvious uses on the property, or could be sold to other people.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Once we get brain implants, there will be libraries of other peoples' mind recordings which you could download from to experience what they experienced. The sexual ones would be the most popular, but there would also be ones of people dying. You'd have to be a real man to sit through the latter, but at least afterward you'd be able to speak of death in the past tense.

"I died."

You could swap stories with a guy who was thawed out of cryostasis, and he'd say:

"I died FOR REAL."
Powers

Post by Powers »

funkervogt wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:19 pm Once we get brain implants, there will be libraries of other peoples' mind recordings which you could download from to experience what they experienced. The sexual ones would be the most popular, but there would also be ones of people dying. You'd have to be a real man to sit through the latter, but at least afterward you'd be able to speak of death in the past tense.

"I died."

You could swap stories with a guy who was thawed out of cryostasis, and he'd say:

"I died FOR REAL."
https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Brain ... Braindance
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Powers wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:44 am
funkervogt wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:19 pm Once we get brain implants, there will be libraries of other peoples' mind recordings which you could download from to experience what they experienced. The sexual ones would be the most popular, but there would also be ones of people dying. You'd have to be a real man to sit through the latter, but at least afterward you'd be able to speak of death in the past tense.

"I died."

"I died FOR REAL."
I still haven't played that game.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

funkervogt wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:47 pm I don't agree that "We will all be forgotten" and "Humans are insignificant in the grand scheme of the Universe." First, large amounts of highly detailed data about our world and the individuals living in it is accreting on the Internet and in computers. The continued improvement to the cost-performance of computer storage means that it will be someday be possible to save it on a cheap device the size of a thumbdrive. A billion such thumbdrives could be made and distributed. 1,000 years from now and beyond, I don't think we will have been forgotten at all. Quite the opposite.

Second, humans are probably the only intelligent life forms, at least in our part of the Galaxy. The fact that we will almost certainly go on to create AGIs, which will go on to colonize the stars to no clear end, makes us enormously significant in the grand scheme of things, and perhaps to the Universe as a whole.
Furthermore, humans are the only species that will someday have it within its means to end suffering among all life forms on Earth. The details of how we could do that have been explored by philosopher David Pearce, and I recommend his website: https://www.abolitionist.com/

It would be fitting and just if, after dispensing so much death and destruction on our environment, we became its saviors and inaugurated a new era of peace and bliss for all animals. If we saved enough of them over a long enough timespan, we will exceed the suffering we inflicted on their ancestors during our species' earlier history. 
TrueAnimationFan

Post by TrueAnimationFan »

Does this "abolition of all biological suffering" involve uplifting animals to be as intelligent as we are, a la Disney's Zootopia? Or something far more profound than that?
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

funkervogt wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:11 pm
Powers wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:44 am

"I died."

"I died FOR REAL."
I still haven't played that game.
Expectation: The cool stuff as described. Well some of it anyways.

Reality: Being shut down like V gets during the politician mission by Mr. Blue Eyes from far away for getting too uppity even on Future Timeline.net especially in Britain.

Until things get worked out for future space travel its shady as hell. The cloning capability from linking yourself to a clone is a possibility to loop around life extension limits until living centuries long is a possibility.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

TrueAnimationFan wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:16 pm Does this "abolition of all biological suffering" involve uplifting animals to be as intelligent as we are, a la Disney's Zootopia? Or something far more profound than that?
There's no correlation between happiness and intelligence, so I don't think we'd uplift them. We might put them in something like a Good Matrix.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Best thing we can do for animals is leave them alone and let them have enough wild nature to survive as they always have. We should only interact to save them from the harm we ourselves have caused them.