My random thoughts

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
funkervogt

Re: My random thoughts

Post by funkervogt »

The lack of drones dates the movie District 9.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

In the future, if you have a low social credit rating and are likelier to trash the inside of an autonomous taxi, the only taxis that will let you in will be those with hard seats and vinyl floors that can be sprayed down and thick windows that can't be broken. Public buses already have the first two features.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Once asteroid mining techniques become more advanced, the first step in the process will involve enclosing an asteroid in something like a mini Dyson Sphere. The Sphere's subcomponents would be satellite "panels" shaped like flat, equilateral triangles or flat hexagons. They would join with each other along their edges to encircle and enclose the asteroid.

Then, other machines with drills, explosive charges, and other types of devices would arrive and would be able to enter the Sphere thanks to one of the panels swiveling open like a big door. They would get to work breaking down the rock. The Sphere would keep any debris from escaping into space, which would not only reduce industrial waste, but also keep our Solar System from being cluttered with even more objects that could be collision hazards for other space ships. This process would resemble an amoeba engulfing a food particle and then digesting it.

When a load of processed metal was ready, the "door" would open again, allowing it to exit the Sphere and to meet a waiting cargo ship. Once the whole asteroid had been consumed, the Sphere would disassemble back into its satellite components, which would drift to their next destination(s) to help break down more asteroids.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Androids will be so fast, agile and observant that they'll be able to dodge, deflect or catch any objects you throw at them.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Shutting down an AGI wouldn't be the same as "murder" if it were possible to reactivate the AGI, with no memory loss. From the AGI's perspective, the shutdown period would seem like a period of dreamless sleep.

If reversibly shutting down an AGI were a crime, it would most closely parallel knocking a human unconscious.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

"Human infirmity in moderating and checking the emotions I name bondage: for, when a man is a prey to his emotions, he is not his own master, but lies at the mercy of fortune: so much so, that he is often compelled, while seeing that which is better for him, to follow that which is worse.“
-Spinoza

This implies that AGIs should, thanks to their lack of emotions, have more free will than humans.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

funkervogt wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:18 am Androids will be so fast, agile and observant that they'll be able to dodge, deflect or catch any objects you throw at them.
What if you threw a cluster of multiple objects? Possibly some of unknown function/risk. How would they decide which to avoid or catch?
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Then you would have some chance of hitting one of them, but remember your own accuracy will drop as the number of objects you throw increases.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Imagine if AI started mass murdering humans, but to copy our souls to an afterlife.
ººº

Post by ººº »

funkervogt wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:16 am Imagine if AI started mass murdering humans, but to copy our souls to an afterlife.
That's a good plot, I wonder if there is a work based on it.