Recent Book

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Blazing Rocket

Recent Book

Post by Blazing Rocket »

Hi All! I have been inspired by Mr. Fox’s Futuretimeline.net for exactly 10 years (ever since I was in 6th grade)! I made a YouTube channel in the past, and now…

I have made a book about how humanity can live lives of eternal bliss in full immersion virtual reality! They do not have to worry about other people and the imperfections of physical reality because their virtual realities make continuous content tailored to their individual psychological states.

More information is on the site (as well as a button linking to its Amazon). If you are interested, here’s the site link:

https://www.myvirtualrealityexodus.com/ ... ity-exodus

*Note: One of the characters is very similar to Monika from Doki Doki Literature Club. You’ll be in for a shock
Tadasuke

Re: Recent Book

Post by Tadasuke »

I used to believe it is possible to change this universe so much that it would be more to my liking, but then I realized it's not possible. Why? Because no matter how advanced technology gets, I will never agree with other people's bad (according to me) ideas.

Simple example: computer tech used to be less advanced in the 90s and 00s, so video games used to be sold on cartridges and CDs or DVDs - finished, complete, without DLCs, microtransactions. Today tech is more advanced, so games come out unfinished, you pay extra for DLCs, predatory monetization, lootboxes. Mobile games are "F2P" over-advertised crap. Also tech was less advanced so companies used to be more creative, less concerned about realism, more innovative, inventive and visionary. These days things are different and I can't say I like them.

I'm older than you, but I've had similar ideas. I've read the website since 2010. Nowadays I am convinced that the only way for me to achieve happiness is to migrate to virtual reality. There is no chance of happiness for me in this world. I just dislike it way too much. I used to be happy when playing video games and since I stopped, I am unhappy.

However, we are at least 50 years away from full dive virtual reality. And even then it won't be going inside a fully fledged virtual world, only a stub. I think we are about 100 years away from full dive actual virtual reality with intelligent NPCs, physical laws and everything.

Kurzweil thought we would have 80 000 teraflops for $1000 by now. Turns out we have 10. That's 1/8000. With some luck we might get to 80 000 in 20-25 years. He also predicted full dive VR available by 2029. So 2070 sounds likely.

I also have Doki Doki Literature Club on Steam, I bought it when it was fresh. Now there is Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

To correct myself:

Ray predicted (awkwardly) as much as 20 000 tflops in 2019 for $4000 (in his 1999 book) - his estimate for the human brain (I think it's less than that in reality, he also thinks that). 4000 1999 dollars is ~6300 in 2020. He also predicted 20 000 tflops laptop for $1000 in 2023. And 20 000 000 tflops desktop PCs for $1000 in 2029 (4000-fold improvement in just 10 years, when in reality it will probably be 10 to 20-fold).

In 2020 RTX 3090 offered around 35 tflops for $1500. You could cram 3 of them in that ~6300. That's ~105 tflops and 72 GB of RAM. 1/190, one year later. This year prices have go up instead of the usual down, but that's an outlier. They will go down in the future. Especially with chiplets and 3D stacking.

VR is improving : PS5 VR in 2022 will have 4x resolution, 10° wider FoV, much better 6 DoF controls, haptics, only one cord, no separate processing unit, ~10x better computer hardware (than base PS4) and lighter, more comfortable design. 6 years later.

VR will start getting interesting in the next few years probably. We will be able to interact with virtual Senko-san before we interact with robo maido Senko-san. I personally predict full human AI happening by 2040. It will be going into video games by mid 2040s (so coincidentally 2045 "Singularity"). By 2048 it should be possible to interact with a single human-level NPC on your home computer. Personally, individually, with an AI. So late 2040s for single NPC interactions and late 2050s for robo-maids or robo-butlers. 10 years of having a virtual relationship with a special tactile haptic suit and omnidirectional treadmill, before having the option to switch to a physical body-having AI (perhaps with the same mind).
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Pay2Win, bots and cheaters destroy gameplay for decent, sensible, levelheaded people. That's why I believe only private VR paradise games can offer true happiness for us. So many games were ruined by Pay2Win, catering to casuals or whales and bots, cheaters.

I don't think MMORPGs are the future. I think that private VR worlds with AI NPCs are the future. I choose Skyrim with mods over an MMORPG, unfortunately. Why? Because other players will ruin the fun and multi-player games are often not designed for the most reasonable of players. People will ruin nice things. The vast majority of people are stupid and have a bad taste.
TrueAnimationFan

Post by TrueAnimationFan »

Personalized virtual recreations of the observable universe are what I view to be the ultimate conclusion of what began millennia earlier as a digital ping pong game.

If the year is say 4000, and we live in a post scarcity society, then as the timeline says, most humans and transhumans will be able to "pursue their greatest dreams" whenever they desire. A single individual could, compared to the personal universe that they inhabit, be a complete and utter god.

Here is one random hypothetical example.

Someone who likes the ancient art form known as "cartoons" and "anime" has a 93 billion light year wide universe on their "computer" that includes all we've mapped by then, but emptied of humans. As cruel as it would sound, this person could go to some random planet, terraform it in seconds, and seed it with a population of fantasy creatures and fictional characters. After fast forwarding through time, they find that 10,000 years later, what were once a few hundred human characters from cartoons and anime that degraded to tribalism after being put there have spread out across the planet, formed nations, and from a technological standpoint, are roughly where real life humans were in the 2020s.

Does this person then fly down to this planet and say "hey guys, I'm your god, how's it going", or do they allow virtual universe simulations to emerge on the computers of this civilization as well, and so on to eternity?
SpencerBurgess

Post by SpencerBurgess »

Tadasuke wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:53 pm Nowadays I am convinced that the only way for me to achieve happiness is to migrate to virtual reality. There is no chance of happiness for me in this world. I just dislike it way too much.
However, we are at least 50 years away from full dive virtual reality. And even then it won't be going inside a fully fledged virtual world, only a stub. I think we are about 100 years away from full dive actual virtual reality with intelligent NPCs, physical laws and everything.
Hey there, why are you so much hating reality? Virtual games and appearances are good, but having a suspension of disbelief isn't ok.
SpencerBurgess

Post by SpencerBurgess »

Mb, it's just the unfit people around you; however, we shouldn't expect the people around to be like NPCs. Virtual reality can destroy us and our personalities. I read a free book summary on [deleted link] about appearances versus reality and the discomfort of a company. "The Open Window" by Saki is my favourite book since it shows themes like suspension of disbelief.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

SpencerBurgess wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:43 pm Hey there, why are you so much hating reality? Virtual games and appearances are good, but having a suspension of disbelief isn't ok.
I'm different than you and I'm old enough that I won't change completely. I'm disgusted, disappointed and unsatisfied by reality. Suspension of disbelief is great. I don't think I can be fully happy without Full Dive Virtual Reality. No one will change my mind. I hate reality.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

What I've observed is that it's other people and their actions what largely makes me unhappy. Apart from the fact that I find this reality unappealing, other people make me sad and depressed. Although I am sure that the world as a whole is gradually becoming better. It's just that it was so extremely horrible in the past that even a very significant improvement doesn't mean it doesn't suck anymore. I hope in the future to enclose myself in my own bubble, using AIs to help me in every way. Starting by filtering information. It's a problem that I go to the WWW to escape reality I despise, only to find more unhappiness because of other people.