Life on Earth Appreciation Thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Life on Earth Appreciation Thread

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Octopuses, crabs and lobsters to be recognised as sentient beings under UK law following LSE report findings

Fri 19 Nov 2021

Octopuses, crabs and lobsters will receive greater welfare protection in UK law following an LSE report which demonstrates that there is strong scientific evidence that these animals have the capacity to experience pain, distress or harm.

The UK government has today confirmed that that the scope of the Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill will be extended to all decapod crustaceans and cephalopod molluscs.

This move follows the findings of a government-commissioned independent review led by Dr Jonathan Birch. The review drew on over 300 existing scientific studies to evaluate evidence of sentience in cephalopods (including octopuses, squid and cuttlefish) and decapods (including crabs, lobsters and crayfish).

Dr Jonathan Birch, Associate Professor at LSE’s Centre for Philosophy of Natural and Social Science and Principal Investigator on the Foundations of Animal Sentience project, said:

"I'm pleased to see the government implementing a central recommendation of my team's report. After reviewing over 300 scientific studies, we concluded that cephalopod molluscs and decapod crustaceans should be regarded as sentient, and should therefore be included within the scope of animal welfare law."

https://www.lse.ac.uk/News/Latest-news- ... protection
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Not gonna lie, it looks like a hairy tapeworm
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

The world's first octopus farm - should it go ahead?

13 hours ago

News that the world's first commercial octopus farm is closer to becoming reality has been met with dismay by scientists and conservationists. They argue such intelligent "sentient" creatures - considered able to feel pain and emotions - should never be commercially reared for food.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59667645

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

wjfox wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:06 pm The world's first octopus farm - should it go ahead?

13 hours ago

News that the world's first commercial octopus farm is closer to becoming reality has been met with dismay by scientists and conservationists. They argue such intelligent "sentient" creatures - considered able to feel pain and emotions - should never be commercially reared for food.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59667645

I saw the documentary mentioned in the text. "My Octopus teacher" (Netflix). It's really amazing. The most crazy scene is where the octopus is riding on the sharks back.
We see this lack of respect for animals from many humans, it's disgusting.