Does anyone think aliens might upload our souls/consciousnesses when we die?

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
iridescentrae

Post by iridescentrae »

Some of us? Do you think some of us go to “heaven?” Some to “hell?” How should we behave to maximize our chances of a heaven or rebirth?
Someone with dreams about the future.

Be a good person. ♡

raynaisabella.blogspot.com
Ozzie guy

Re: Does anyone think aliens might upload our souls/consciousnesses when we die?

Post by Ozzie guy »

I doubt aliens would care, if you had resurrection tech would you bother resurrecting some mammal in Africa that you have never seen before?
If you are religious follow what the religion says.
funkervogt

Re: Does anyone think aliens might upload our souls/consciousnesses when we die?

Post by funkervogt »

No one knows.

I've long had a theory that explains why aliens don't talk to us. They are so advanced that they have discovered some other plane of existence, or some broader truth about consciousness that results in them having a totally different view of things. For example, maybe they've proven that reincarnation exists, or that heaven and hell are real, or that consciousness actually exists outside of the bodies of organisms and only temporarily resides in them--like a radio playing music that comes to it in the form of electromagnetic transmissions from somewhere else--from birth to death, before moving on.

If any of those things were true, then it could explain why aliens don't interfere with Earth. Whatever suffering we go through thanks to our animalistic nature and poor medical technology is a vanishingly small fraction of the life experience of an immortal soul, and perhaps a necessary phase a soul must go through to achieve enlightenment.
How should we behave to maximize our chances of a heaven or rebirth?
Be kind to other sentient life forms.
iridescentrae

Post by iridescentrae »

Set and Meet Goals wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:50 am I doubt aliens would care, if you had resurrection tech would you bother resurrecting some mammal in Africa that you have never seen before?
I would view it as my ethical duty to save as many people as possible with the resources that I had. That might result in some judgement, like viewing who would be useful to society or even one individual, perhaps as a research partner, friend, or even mate. Wondering if anyone’s ever calculated the odds.

Be a good person. ♡

iridescentrae

Post by iridescentrae »

funkervogt wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:09 pm
No one knows.

I've long had a theory that explains why aliens don't talk to us. They are so advanced that they have discovered some other plane of existence, or some broader truth about consciousness that results in them having a totally different view of things. For example, maybe they've proven that reincarnation exists, or that heaven and hell are real, or that consciousness actually exists outside of the bodies of organisms and only temporarily resides in them--like a radio playing music that comes to it in the form of electromagnetic transmissions from somewhere else--from birth to death, before moving on.

If any of those things were true, then it could explain why aliens don't interfere with Earth. Whatever suffering we go through thanks to our animalistic nature and poor medical technology is a vanishingly small fraction of the life experience of an immortal soul, and perhaps a necessary phase a soul must go through to achieve enlightenment.
How should we behave to maximize our chances of a heaven or rebirth?
Be kind to other sentient life forms.
I think it’s more likely, mathematically, that they a) save us all b) save some of us c) hold a trial and determine if some of us deserve punishment and some of us reward.

What do you think different types of society would do? What do you think is the most likely type of society that is watching us, if any? A galactic federation? A libertarian one? A democracy? One that believes in punishment? Reward? Just wondering how people think the math works out on that (since they’ve calculated habitable planets, etc.).

Be a good person. ♡

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

I certainly wouldn't bet on it.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Post by raklian »

Consciousness isn't something that we can transfer from one body to another. If we posit that consciousness is fundamental to all matter, how do we draw the boundary that defines our own consciousness from the rest? That's a problem we must solve if we want to start thinking about switching bodies.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
iridescentrae

Post by iridescentrae »

Gradual replacement using artificial neurons? Teleportation? I just assume that the science/technology is there, we just don’t have access to it.

Be a good person. ♡

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Doubt it's possible, bodies decay pretty quickly. I'm sure any useful information in the brain would be lost within days or even hours.
BaobabScion

Post by BaobabScion »

This is similar to the plot of a SF series called Riverworld. In that series, when people die on Earth, their minds are transferred by a race of aliens to a planet called Riverworld where they are given new bodies and resurrect out of the world-spanning rivers every time they die. People from all eras of history coexist on the planet, and the planet itself is a few times larger than Earth.