Sports News and Discussions

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Time_Traveller

Re: Sports News and Discussions

Post by Time_Traveller »

UEFA to hold international football tournament for refugees
Tuesday 21 June 2022

A new international football tournament for refugees will be held at the end of this month.

Teams will be made up of 70% refugee and 30% non-refugee players and it will take place on 29 June in Nyon, Switzerland, where UEFA's HQ is based.

The Unity Euro Cup is a friendly competition and will feature teams from Austria, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Malta, the Republic of Ireland and Switzerland.

Its aim is to strengthen links between communities and displaced people through football. The announcement of the tournament was made on World Refugee Day.

UEFA signed a cooperation agreement with the United Nations Refugee Agency last year as parts of its "Strength Through Unity" strategy.
https://news.sky.com/story/uefa-to-hold ... s-12637659
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Sue Barker in tears as emotional tribute is paid before her Wimbledon farewell
16:42, 3 Jul 2022

Sue Barker was reduced to tears after Wimbledon celebrated her 30 years of coverage with a wonderful tribute.

The 66-year-old, who appears to have recovered from laryngitis, is set to retire after the 2022 edition of the tournament after she has been the face of BBC ’s coverage for the last three decades. Barker’s television partner John McEnroe got the atmosphere going and kicked the tributes off towards the Brit during a parade of champions to celebrate 100 years on Centre Court.

“Sue, one final word,” the American seven-time Grand Slam champion said. “On behalf of all the players, I just want to say that we're going to be lost without you.

"After 30 years of covering this tournament magnificently, please give it up for Sue Barker."

The Centre Court crowd erupted to give the 1976 French Open champion a touching ovation, and Barker was visibly tearful as she thanked the Wimbledon Organisers. She then made a fitting joke at McEnroe’s expense, suggesting he is set to be demoted to lower courts.e]
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/s ... e-27387543
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

The footballer Harry Kane turned 29 on the 28th of July.

Why I find this interesting.

Harry Kane is probably the best player that has not one a single team trophy for club or country as one of the best players in the world for a significant period of time this is insane.

Based on statistics for his position in 2010-2020 the age players reach their prime is 26-28. Suggesting his performance is already on a slow decline and this decline will exponentially speed up with age.

He may end up becoming the best ever player that did not win anything.

To get an idea for how good he is he is equal 4th highest market value in the world despite being just past his prime.

He has also managed to miss out on all the significant individual awards (Ballon d'or and golden boot.)

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler-s ... ktwertetop
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

I just realized that the Olympic Channel has gone off the air. For me, that is a real bummer as that was a good place to go, be entertained, and get away from the madness of it all. There is still the Golf Channel, but that gets old fast. Hopefully, the Tour de France, major track and field events, and many winter sporting events will continue to be available elsewhere, without having to go the pay per view route.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

caltrek wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:18 pm I just realized that the Olympic Channel has gone off the air. For me, that is a real bummer as that was a good place to go, be entertained, and get away from the madness of it all. There is still the Golf Channel, but that gets old fast. Hopefully, the Tour de France, major track and field events, and many winter sporting events will continue to be available elsewhere, without having to go the pay per view route.
Never heard of this channel, here in the UK.

-H.G Wells.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Time_Traveller wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:29 pm
caltrek wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:18 pm I just realized that the Olympic Channel has gone off the air. For me, that is a real bummer as that was a good place to go, be entertained, and get away from the madness of it all. There is still the Golf Channel, but that gets old fast. Hopefully, the Tour de France, major track and field events, and many winter sporting events will continue to be available elsewhere, without having to go the pay per view route.
I think it was an NBC affiliate, which is an American broadcasting network. Before it went off the air, it carried coverage of the Commonwealth games.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

caltrek wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:34 pm
I think it was an NBC affiliate, which is an American broadcasting network. Before it went off the air, it carried coverage of the Commonwealth games.
Sounded like an interested channel to watch though, all the different olympics throughout time.

-H.G Wells.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Time_Traveller wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:43 pm
caltrek wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:34 pm

Sounded like an interested channel to watch though, all the different olympics throughout time.
Yes, and in addition to relatively recent Olympics, it also featured sporting events, outside of the actual Olympics, that one finds in the Summer and Winter games. Hence their interest in broadcasting the Commonwealth games.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:27 pm
I was just looking at this via another website. Absolutely shocking.

-H.G Wells.