What are you reading?

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Time_Traveller

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Time_Traveller »

Time_Traveller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:52 pm I am currently reading The Silent Stars Go By by Dan Abnett.

Finished this on Monday and as this was the first Doctor Who book i have read i thought it was great.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Yesterday, i had started Adults in the room by Yanis Faroufakis. Image
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Lenny9

Post by Lenny9 »

The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Time_Traveller wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:40 pm Yesterday, i had started Adults in the room by Yanis Faroufakis. Image
Didn't a guy cause World War 2 over something similar. The blame was misguided though it seems that was the idea he essentially discredited. Either way it is way too late for any change of that sort and even if it did happen then what? A global government?

That's really the answer to a whole lot of things like that such as George Orwell put it. Say some things were successful then the answer would be the same - now what?. And you would be back to the same thing that in this case the Euro establishment was doing which is managing everything with others. Money is the least concern if no one gets along or at least tolerates everyone. Don't think I have seen this floating online or in person discussion ever.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I've almost finished The Coming Wave, by Mustafa Suleyman (co-founder of DeepMind). It's a great overview of the ethics surrounding AI.

It's been a while since I read any fiction, and I'd like to become engrossed in some futuristic story at bedtime, so I'm thinking of Surface Detail by the late Iain Banks. I've read some of his other stuff, e.g. Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, Excession, all of them really good.

I also have Doomsday: A Survival Handbook, which my parents got me for Christmas, although it might worsen my insomnia lol.

The "War in Heaven", a simulated war game, rages between civilisations. Its virtual battles have been fought for decades, and the victors will decide the fate of the digital Hells - torturous artificial afterlives with horrors beyond imagination.

In the Sichultian Enablement, Y'breq is one of the Intagliated, her marked body bearing witness to a family shame, her life belonging to a man whose lust for power is without limit.

As the virtual war threatens to spill into the Real, Y'breq is willing to risk everything for her freedom - but she'll need the Culture, and its help comes at a price. The Culture is going to war with death itself.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Anyone here read this?

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/156785
By the end of the 30th century humanity has the capability to travel the universe, to journey beyond earth and beyond the confines of the vulnerable human frame. The descendants of centuries of scientific, cultural and physical development divide into fleshers — true Homo sapiens; Gleisner robots — embodying human minds within machines that interact with the physical world; and polises — supercomputers teeming with intelligent software, containing the direct copies of billions of human personalities now existing only in the virtual reality of the polis. Diaspora is the story of Yatima — a polis being created from random mutations of the Konishi polis base mind seed — and of humankind, Of an astrophysical accident that spurs the thousandfold cloning of the polises. Of the discovery of an alien race and of a kink in time that means humanity — whatever form it takes — will never again be threatened by acts of God.