The Sleep Thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...

What time do you normally go to bed?

Before 9pm
10%
9.00–9.29pm
No votes
9.30–9.59pm
5%
10.00–10.29pm
24%
10.30–10.59pm
10%
11.00–11.29pm
5%
11.30–11.59pm
No votes
12.00–12.29am
No votes
12.30am–12.59am
10%
1am or later
38%

Total votes: 21

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: The Sleep Thread

Post by wjfox »

A daytime nap is good for the brain

8 hours ago

Regularly finding time for a little snooze is good for our brain and helps keep it bigger for longer, say University College London researchers.

The team showed nappers' brains were 15 cubic centimetres (0.9 cubic inches) larger - equivalent to delaying ageing by between three and six years.

However, the scientists recommend keeping naps to less than half an hour.

But they said a daytime sleep was hard in many careers, with work culture often frowning on the practice.

"We are suggesting that everybody could potentially experience some benefit from napping," Dr Victoria Garfield told me. She described the findings as "quite novel and quite exciting".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65950168
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

40lightyears

Post by 40lightyears »

Typically, I hit the hay around 11 PM. That's my sweet spot - not too early, not too late.

Now, I like my time online or a good Netflix binge, but those hours before midnight seem crucial for getting quality sleep. You might get pleasure from watching something before going to sleep, but if it goes past 11pm, then the next day you'll be less happy about the fact that you lost hours of rest.
Weekends are a different story, of course. That's when I let loose a bit.

I'm a productivity freak, but that doesn't mean I sacrifice hours of sleep, on the contrary — I've always tried to get as much out of them as possible.

So, some easy steps to follow but which have a huge effect for me, are:

One, for a better night's sleep, I've cut my caffeine intake after 5 PM.

Second, I've made a point to create a tranquil sleep environment - dim lights, cool room temperatures, and minimal noise.

Three, I use a good pillow and mattress. I've been using a pillow from Pluto for a few months now, and it actually has made some difference. And a mattress from Saatva. Unexpectedly comfortable.

Fourth, avoiding screens for an hour before bedtime is also part of my routine - that little habit has worked wonders for me.
To sum it all up, it's mostly about consistency.
erowind

Post by erowind »

I had the worst bout of insomnia in my life last week. Over the course of 3 days I had around 30 minutes of sleep. My body will fall asleep and then 10 minutes later wake up and force me into a state of alertness that does not let me get tired enough to fall asleep again until another 16 hours passes. I'm going to a neurologist because this is beyond just blue light exposure or anything mundane at this point. I've long suspected I might have non-24 and I think this insomnia flare up was caused by me trying to force my circadian rhythm into something more nuerotypical. Instead of that happening it short circuited and just stopped letting me sleep all together.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox: Is there a difference in sleep quality if you sleep on the left or right side?

ChatGPT: Yes, there can be differences in sleep quality depending on whether you sleep on your left or right side, largely due to how body positioning affects various aspects of physiology.

Digestive Benefits: Sleeping on the left side is often recommended for improving digestion. This position aligns with the natural layout of the gastrointestinal tract, aiding in smoother digestion and potentially reducing issues like heartburn and acid reflux.

Heart Health: Sleeping on the left side can benefit heart health, especially for those with heart conditions. This position can ease the heart's workload as gravity can facilitate lymph drainage toward the heart and improve circulation.

Pregnancy: For pregnant women, left-side sleeping is advised. It improves circulation to the heart, which is beneficial for both mother and fetus. Right-side sleeping is less favored as it can exert pressure on the liver and reduce circulation.

Sleep Apnea and Snoring: The impact on sleep apnea and snoring can vary. Some people may experience reduced symptoms when sleeping on one side due to the effects on airway alignment and pressure on the respiratory system.

Other Considerations: Personal comfort, pre-existing health conditions, and other factors can influence which sleeping position is best. For instance, those with certain types of pain or discomfort might find one side more comfortable than the other.

It's important to note that individual variations play a significant role. What works best for one person may not be ideal for another. If someone is experiencing sleep issues or discomfort, it's often recommended to experiment with different sleeping positions or consult with a healthcare provider for personalized advice.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »