The Sleep Thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...

What time do you normally go to bed?

Before 9pm
10%
9.00–9.29pm
No votes
9.30–9.59pm
5%
10.00–10.29pm
24%
10.30–10.59pm
10%
11.00–11.29pm
5%
11.30–11.59pm
No votes
12.00–12.29am
No votes
12.30am–12.59am
10%
1am or later
38%

Total votes: 21

wjfox
Site Admin

The Sleep Thread

Post by wjfox »

What time do you normally go to bed?

I always aim for between 10 and 10.30pm and preferably earlier.

When I was younger, I remember being able to stay up really late, sometimes until 3am, playing games like Unreal Tournament. These days, I'd feel wrecked the next morning if I stayed up that late.

Getting decent sleep ought to be a really important part of everyone's longevity strategy.

----------------------------------

Regular 10pm bedtime linked to lower heart risk

11 hours ago

There appears to be an optimal bedtime - between 10pm and 11pm - linked to better heart health, say researchers who have studied 88,000 volunteers.

The team behind the UK Biobank work believe synchronising sleep to match our internal body clock may explain the association found with a reduced risk of heart attacks and strokes.

The body's natural 24-hour rhythm is important for wellbeing and alertness.

It can also impact things like blood pressure.

For the study, which is published in the European Heart Journal, the researchers collected data on sleep and wake times over seven days using a wristwatch-like device worn by the volunteers.

And they followed up what happened to the volunteers in terms of heart and circulatory health over an average of six years.

Just over 3,000 of the adults developed cardiovascular disease.

Many of these cases occurred in people who went to bed later or earlier than the "ideal" 10pm to 11pm.

The link persisted after adjustment for sleep duration and sleep irregularity.

Read more: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59204831
Ozzie guy

Re: The Sleep Thread

Post by Ozzie guy »

I am a very late sleeper however I think its fine if I am getting enough hours.

I actually get a surge of energy in the evening for example its 11:41 pm and its the most energetic I have felt all day.

It could be explained by evolution being that I am wired to hunt at night.
Also in my life I used to party most nights a week for months in a row over the course of a couple of years, I have worked evening jobs (but only for a short time) and gone through very stressful events in the evening.

Whist I can start a habit of waking early and sleeping inline with that the habit always gets broken.
Immortal Coil

Post by Immortal Coil »

While I would love to go to bed by 10pm, I nearly always end up going to bed between 11.30pm and 1am, usually around half past midnight. My main problem is that there are just not enough hours in the day to unwind / do non-work-related stuff. My wife and I usually have dinner around 7.30pm or so, then I do some more work while digesting my food, followed by 30 minutes to 60 minutes of moderate or intense exercise from around 9.30pm, and then shower and unwind from around 11pm.
I could of course get up ultra early and do my exercise in the morning, but I'm just not a morning person. However, I do get up at 7am to feed the pets, walk the dog and get ready for work. As a result, I only get 6 or so hours of sleep per night, which is really not enough.
Why can't we have 26-hour days? :(
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Immortal Coil wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:50 pm
Why can't we have 26-hour days? :(
That might be possible in about 360 million years, due to a gradual slowdown in the Earth's rotation. :)
urdestan

Post by urdestan »

I stay up until 10-11pm. At that point, I sorta crash in energy and start to become unproductive. My peak hours are gonna be 7-10pm.
Revolutionary Moderate

Post by Revolutionary Moderate »

I try to sleep for at least 8 hours a day, so I go to sleep between 9:30 to 10:30, although on the weekend when I am not working, I tend to stay awake for longer.
The Potato Praiser
raklian

Post by raklian »

If you've been around for a while, some of you already know my sleeping habits as I've described it several times.

It's not for the faint of heart. :lol:
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Ah! Nice to know I'm in good company :D I, too, sleep at 10PM or 2200 and man is it so good especially in the winter.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
erowind

Post by erowind »

5am-8am
Mere mortals know not what lies in the darkness of Máni's wake