Have you been meeting friends and new people during covid ?

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Ozzie guy

Have you been meeting friends and new people during covid ?

Post by Ozzie guy »

I haven't and I think its why I feel insane. If other people have been doing that I need to get social again.
R8Z

Re: Have you been meeting friends and new people during covid ?

Post by R8Z »

Meeting friends? Surely. I am sure you didn't avoid meeting friends because of the other billion possible diseases they could transmit; now it's not much different especially if you're under 70.

We can be glad that new variants have surfaced, variants that are much weaker and if caught should provide almost-perfect immunity for at least a whole year (in contrast, a pfizer vaccine drops it's effective immunity to 0 after 7 months, thats why "boosters").

Mental health is very important and a bad one is one of the precursors for many very real physical diseases, including accelerated aging due to stress and whole body inflamation.

On the other hand meeting new people has been hard since the beginning of all of this, I think I've met like 5-7 new people when going out since the start of the lockdowns, none that turned out to become friends, but I am fine with that.
And, as always, bye bye.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

R8Z wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:16 am Meeting friends? Surely. I am sure you didn't avoid meeting friends because of the other billion possible diseases they could transmit; now it's not much different especially if you're under 70.

We can be glad that new variants have surfaced, variants that are much weaker and if caught should provide almost-perfect immunity for at least a whole year (in contrast, a pfizer vaccine drops it's effective immunity to 0 after 7 months, thats why "boosters").
I won't tolerate people spreading disinformation on this site.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

Highlight what is wrong and I will provide sources.

Edit: let me jump the gun

"pfizer's effectivity drops to zero after 7 months"
- https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... -data-show

"newer variants are milder and spread more rapidly" - As expected by virology and as predicted by natural selection (there's selective pressure towards this goal).

1. (omicron/xi: early to say, but most probably milder than delta) https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 043_1.html
2. (delta: surely) in this case, 0 deaths <= 50yrs old, page 10, check > https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ing_17.pdf

Note that the press is highly suppressing the above information for many reasons (clickbaiting, fear mongering, bought press, etc.).
Last edited by R8Z on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And, as always, bye bye.
erowind

Post by erowind »

My closest friends who I know have been vaccinated yes. Especially during downtimes inbetween waves i’ve been social. I suggest taking that risk at least some of the time, we are social animals there is a human cost to never seeing anyone.

On average since last Christmas i’d say I see a friend at least once every two weeks. During bad peaks i’ll keep away for a month sometimes tho.

My city has also been uniquely safe by American standards. We have a metro pop of over 2.4mil and have rarely gone over 1,000 cases a day usually staying under 300-500 and for months at a time staying under 100. My impression is that Australia is generally safer too.