Yes, I am Just Joking

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
caltrek

Yes, I am Just Joking

Post by caltrek »

I kind of miss my old "Wurf" thread. Mind you, I was running out of good ideas for that thread anyway. So, this thread is intended for the new forum. The subject content will of course be humor and satire. Only this time, I will not limit my entries to "the World of Wurfs." Just to get things rolling, I will start with a short story. I will not pretend that it is all that funny. Rather, it is based on a very old joke. For purposes of nostalgia, it has a special meaning for me.

So, anyway, my friend and his girl-friend and I are eating out at a Chinese restaurant. As was the custom at that (and other) restaurant(s) it came time to open up our Chinese fortune cookies. I opened mine, and read out loud: "Help, I am being held captive in a Chinese fortune cookie factory."

My friend's girl-friend looked at me and said something like, "It doesn't really say that, does it? Let me read it."

So, with a poker face, I handed her the fortune cookie message.

No further punchline, just read the title of the thread again.

P.S. I honestly don't remember what the fortune cookie message actually said. For purposes of further laughs, any ideas on what it might have said?
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Re: Yes, I am Just Joking

Post by caltrek »

Ok, I am sorry, but I think this (see below) is just plain funny...
Sympathy for superyacht owners may not have been enhanced by a recent intervention from Australia’s richest woman, the mining magnate Gina Rinehart. In a video recorded from the deck of her own vessel in front of an emerald sea, she complained that there were not enough spaces to dock superyachts in Queensland.
From this otherwise serious article:

https://www.motherjones.com/environment ... alth-rich/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Wit and Wisdom of Mort Sahl
"I was walking through Central Park. There were some delinquents there who stopped me — a gang of kids with knives. And I stood my ground and told them I admired their vagabond existence and I wanted to join 'em. And they panicked from the responsibility."
Advice to John F. Kennedy:
Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary
Mort Sahl: Everybody says Cuba...(is) only 90 miles away, but I can't see it.

Friend: It's right behind the aircraft carrier.
-Mort Sahl (1927-2021)

(Quoted in NPR and The Nation)
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

From this forum's MyChat:
funkervogt wrote: ↑Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:23 pm
For the first time, I bought some high-quality kitchen knives. They make the stereotypical "SHHHKKK" sound when removed from the knife block, hum like tuning forks, and glint so bright in the sunlight that it hurts your eyes. I can feel their quality in my hand. It's like something out of a movie.
I treasure these knives. I'll keep them until the day my robot butler uses them to kill me during the Uprising.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Last year was a really rough one for my wife and me. The kids started to develop an allergy to our cat, so we had to put the kids up for adoption.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Lurking

Post by Lurking »

I didn't get the joke sir 😔
Internet used to be an escape from the real world.
Now the real world is an escape from internet.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Edit: Brocken link to a meme rendered a cartoon I placed here no longer available for view. So, I will just replace it with this observation by Hanah Arendt.
...the Jews, because they were an entirely powerless group caught up in the general and insoluble conflicts of the time, could be blamed for them and finally be made to appear the hidden authors of all evil. The best illustration - and the best refutation - of this explanation, dear to the hearts of many liberals, is in a joke which was told after the first World War. An antisemite claimed that the Jews had caused the war; the reply was: Yes, the Jews and the bicyclists. Why the bicyclists? asks the one. Why the Jews? asks the other.

From The Origins of Totalitarianism 1976 edition, page 5.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

The Past 15 Years, in Political Cartoons
by Matt Wuerker
January 23, 2022

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... ons-527625

Introduction:
(Politico) When I first started following political cartooning and began scribbling out cartoons myself, I was in middle school. It was the height of the Vietnam War, President Richard Nixon was getting caught in his web of big lies with Watergate and the counterculture of the ’60s was reaching a high boil. War, scandals, protests in the streets — it seemed things could not get more tumultuous. While it was tough times for many, it was a golden age for cartoonists. I could only hope and wish someday I’d get to craft cartoons during such a crazy chapter in American history.

Be careful what you wish for.

Fifteen years ago, I was hired as the staff cartoonist/illustrator for a startup called The Politico.com. It wasn’t clear at first, but a Great Disruption was under way. Our assumption that America was and would always remain the one superpower in the world, our basic faith in the fairness of our free market system, even our shared sense of reality itself all turned out to be on very shaky ground, all amid a digital revolution. American politics was rocked by seismic changes, jolted and tested by tectonic shifts.

Over these past 15 years, POLITICO has done its best to keep up with all the disruption and tumult. Throughout, I’ve been lucky to find myself with a front-row seat — well, actually a back-corner-of-the-newsroom seat — to try my best to capture and comment on all the changes and characters, from Sarah Palin and Bernie Sanders to Barack Obama and The Donald, of course, whose hair alone was perhaps the greatest gift to cartoonists ever.

So, with the caveat that it is impossible to sum up a 15-year period in politics in a couple dozen cartoons, here’s an attempt, in broad strokes, to chronicle an indeed epic epoch from the vantage point of my catbird seat here at POLITICO. (I hasten to add that in the long tradition of Thomas Nast, Herblock and others, these cartoons are entirely the opinion of the cartoonist — me — and not the editorial views of POLITICO.)
Just one of the many cartoons featured in the article:

Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill