Yes, I am Just Joking

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
caltrek

Re: Yes, I am Just Joking

Post by caltrek »

Evolution is something that happens, willy nilly, in spite of all efforts to prevent it happening. Jaques Monod made this point very well in his Herbert Spencer lecture, after wryly remarking: 'Another curious aspect of the theory of evolution is that everybody thinks he understands it.'

-Richard Dawkins
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

I do not wish to achieve immortality through my works. I wish to achieve immortality by not dying.

-Woody Allen
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Fairy Tales Offer Accessible Ways to Communicate Energy Research in the Social Sciences to Help Tackle Climate Change
May 31 , 2023

Introduction:
(Eurekalert) A team of researchers, led by Lancaster University, has been developing accessible and creative means of communicating sustainability research from the social sciences for policymakers and the wider public.

Using fairy tale characters – mermaids, vampires, and witches – as metaphors, the team, including researchers from the Universities of Strathclyde and Manchester, have sought to communicate typically complicated arguments in evocative and engaging terms.

Their paper, ‘Telling Tales’: Communicating UK energy research through fairy tale characters, has been published in the journal, Energy Research & Social Science.

Responding to some of the challenges of climate change (electricity generation, low-carbon transport, plastic pollution), the research team present three 'telling tales'. These ‘translate’ existing academic research, taking inspiration from well-known fairy tale characters, to cast this research in an accessible and powerful light:

• Renewables are mermaids – alluring and attractive solutions for policymakers to increasing energy demands, but a distraction from other important routes to Net Zero, like demand reduction. Like mermaid figureheads on sailors’ ships, renewables should accompany our transition to Net Zero but they should not be the only destination.

• Cars are vampires – dangerous entities that are deadly and sucking the wellbeing from communities by dividing divide workplaces and retailing outlets from homes, creating lengthy commutes. Policymakers have, until now, waved garlic at them, to control how fast and where they travel, rather than reaching for the stake and re-imagining everyday life without cars.

• Plastics are witches – a complex category that is, say the research team, misunderstood by the current witch-hunt against plastics. Though they can be harmers (e.g., single-use plastics), they also have ‘healing’ properties (i.e., durable and useful materials that can substitute more damaging materials). Policymakers should work towards systems of re-use to maximise their benefits, rather than simply ‘demonising’ plastics in general.

Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/990965

caltrek’s comment: All this reminds me of the old commercial:

Why do we talk to you like you are children?

Because when we talk to you like adults, you don’t listen. :D
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Powers

Post by Powers »

wjfox wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:24 am Antarctica mysteries to be mapped by robot plane
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill