Chess

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
caltrek

Chess

Post by caltrek »

I was actually tempted to put this in a thread related to computers. A lot of what I know and theorize about computers comes from being beaten by a computer chess toy. Yes, I know, that says a lot about how poor a chess player I was back in the 80s.

At any rate, after a long hiatus from actually playing the game, I came across a sports channel show regarding a recent chess championship tournament. Held in Dubai, I believe. Winner of the tournament was one Magnus Carlsen. Here is his Wikipedia bio:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Ca ... 0Champion.

I almost changed channel to find something better, then decided, oh hell, might as well watch. One of the things that I noticed was that it was very hard to follow the actual game as it was unfolding on the chess board. The other thing I noticed was the commentator. It felt more like I was watching a tennis match. It didn't really matter that I couldn't visualize the entire board. Instead, my attention was being focused on the players and their eccentric behavior. This really drew me into the show.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Re: Chess

Post by caltrek »

So, what the hell is this doing in a forum about the future? Glad you asked.

Are You ready for the Future of Chess?
by Grandmaster "Gserper"
July 16, 2020

https://www.chess.com/article/view/are- ... e-of-chess

Introduction:
(Chess.com) When the COVID-19 pandemic started, many people considered it mostly a nuisance that would be gone sooner rather than later. These days, popular opinion has shifted to another extreme. Life will never be quite the same even when the pandemic is finally gone. Indeed, it looks like many companies (especially tech firms) will keep their employees working from home on a permanent basis due to numerous financial and other benefits. It is a sign of times that mighty Microsoft is going to permanently close its retail stores.

A similar situation happened to most tournament chess players. At first, we thought that the migration online was just a temporary thing in order to weather the storm, but by now, it is quite clear that internet chess is our new reality. GM (Grand Master) Sosonko even wrote an interesting article on this topic on a popular Russian website. The title of the article is quite telling: "The End?" So, whether we like it or not, internet chess is our future, and we need to adapt. The goal of this article is to underline the major difference between over-the-board (OTB) play and online chess.

An uninitiated person might say "Internet, shminternet... it is all chess." It is more like comparing a seahorse to a horse. They are totally different animals who still have some similarities. They both have a pair of eyes, don't they? Let's start our comparison of chess and internet chess with the most obvious one.

The internet connection

Internet chess allows players from all around the world to play for free in big tournaments and against the best players. It is much cheaper to run many events online, BUT in order to play online, you need to have an internet connection (or should I say a stable internet connection?). Ask GM Ding Liren how it felt when he got disconnected in a recent game vs. Magnus Carlsen and lost what should have been a draw.
Conclusion:
Ford…unveiled its signature Model-T in 1908. Many buggy whip manufacturers probably complained that cars are very dangerous, they would lead to accidents and thousands of people would die. But some of them saw a new opportunity. The famous automaker Studebaker was originally a producer of wagons, buggies and carriages but managed to adopt and became quite successful in the new field. Similarly, tournament chess players should adopt to the new reality... at least till the quarantine ends.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
andmar74

Re: Chess

Post by andmar74 »

So Caltrek, currently the world championship in rapid play is underway in Poland.
2. day starts in 15 min. I'm watching the transmission with Peter Leko, he's an excellent commentator: