Rare & Bizarre Phenomena

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Yuli Ban

Re: Rare & Bizarre Phenomena

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:33 pm
That is definitely something that i never knew but rather fascinating.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

wjfox wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:33 pm
I remember discovering that independently playing with a hose one summer afternoon I wanna say back in 2004. I was perplexed why the rainbows that were created were always full circles and looked it up online. Lo and behold, rainbows are ALWAYS circles... fascinating!
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Post by raklian »

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:33 pm
I remember discovering that independently playing with a hose one summer afternoon I wanna say back in 2004. I was perplexed why the rainbows that were created were always full circles and looked it up online. Lo and behold, rainbows are ALWAYS circles... fascinating!
The reason they appear to be a half circle is because when you're on the ground a portion of the light that would've refracted through water molecules to complete the circle has already been largely absorbed, thanks to electromagnetic wavelength absorption by ground objects.

It's a different story way up. There, light has more angles of attack due to the greater distance between you and the ground at an angle, allowing more water molecules to refract the full spectrum of light. That's why you always see circle rainbows when looking out while flying.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Speaking of rainbows
Monochrome rainbow
A monochrome or red rainbow is an optical and meteorological phenomenon and a rare variation of the more commonly seen multicolored rainbow. Its formation process is identical to that of a normal rainbow (namely the reflection/refraction of light in water droplets), the difference being that a monochrome rainbow requires the sun to be close to the horizon; i.e., near sunrise or sunset. The low angle of the sun results in a longer distance for its light to travel through the atmosphere, causing shorter wavelengths of light, such as blue, green and yellow, to be scattered and leaving primarily red. In the lower light environment where the phenomenon most often forms, a monochrome rainbow can leave a highly dramatic effect.

I've seen a monochrome rainbow before, back in 2019 in college one ultra-red rainy evening.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Green meteorite over Britain