Cringe

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
caltrek

Re: Cringe

Post by caltrek »

^^^^Umm...actually there are some very well educated people that refer to the moon as a planet. In their thinking, we are actually a part of a two planet system. Planet being defined by such things as the more or less rounded shape our spheroid takes do to collapse brought on by gravitational forces. This is an example of how tensions grow. Somebody says something that is a bit non-conformist, so others leap upon that as evidence of being "stupid." In reality, it is not about intelligence, but merely a different way of looking at things.

I had a recent discussion with a conservative on Linked-In where this could be noticed. He thought I was ill-informed because I referred to the U.S. as being a democracy. In his mind, this country is a republic. So, I pointed out to him that it may have started out as a republic, but that it was evolving in a more democratic direction. Yes, the founding fathers established the country as a republic, but the direct election of senators took place sometime after the founding fathers were no longer around. I could have also pointed out that there have been many ballot propositions whereby laws were enacted by direct vote of the people. Yet, his initial assessment of me was that I was ignorant for calling our country a "democracy."

Another recent example is that of the competing ideas about Covid-19. Did it jump from animal to human in a wet market in Hunan, or was a bio-research lab responsible for letting it escape?

Some liberals were so quick tp jump on the lab theory as being mere Trumpist propaganda, yet now many scientists are concluding that the possibility of the lab escape scenario should not be totally dismissed.

Conservatives aren't always wrong. Debate is healthy. Mere name calling and concluding that everybody in the opposition camp is "stupid" generates much heat and not always that much light. Further, it is not scientific. Science proceeds by formulating some times competing visions of how to explain observable events. Completely irrational explanations are thrown out, but often more than one competing vision emerges. It often takes generations to finally sort out which competing explanation is actually the best.

Look at quantum theory versus relativity. Quantum theory yields a fire wall as a barrier at the event horizon of a black hole. Relativity posits no such barrier. It is one of those areas where the lack of a Grand Unified Theory results in confusion. Still, both quantum theory and relativity can lay great claims to helping us understand how physics works.

Sure, all of this, including the two-planet theory, may be way over Trump's head. Yet, there are a lot of things in this universe that are still over everybody's head.
Last edited by caltrek on Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Spectator who caused massive crash at Tour de France missing after fleeing the country
A spectator at the Tour de France who caused a massive crash involving dozens of cyclists is missing as race authorities plan to sue her. Tour de France deputy director Pierre-Yves Thouault told the AFP news agency they plan to sue the woman "so that the tiny minority of people who do this don't spoil the show for everyone. "

However, French publication Ouest-France reported the woman, who is believed to be German, got on a flight and is untraceable, according to CBS Sports.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Veeeeeery suspicious indeed
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:45 pm Spectator who caused massive crash at Tour de France missing after fleeing the country
A spectator at the Tour de France who caused a massive crash involving dozens of cyclists is missing as race authorities plan to sue her. Tour de France deputy director Pierre-Yves Thouault told the AFP news agency they plan to sue the woman "so that the tiny minority of people who do this don't spoil the show for everyone. "

However, French publication Ouest-France reported the woman, who is believed to be German, got on a flight and is untraceable, according to CBS Sports.

Police find and arrest spectator who caused mass Tour de France crash

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/police ... nce-crash/
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Tour de France Drops Lawsuit Against Fan Who Caused Massive Crash
by Scooby Axson
July 1, 2021

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/cyclin ... uxbndlbing

Introduction:
(USA Today via MSN) A 30-year-old French woman who caused a wreck during the first stage of the Tour de France is out of hot water legally after race organizers dropped a lawsuit on Thursday.

The woman held up cardboard sign during Saturday's Stage 1 and was not watching the competitors when German rider Tony Martin rode into the sign, causing a massive pileup. Nearly two dozen people were injured including some riders who had to withdraw from the tour.

"We are withdrawing our complaint," Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme said, according to Reuters. "This story has been blown out of proportion, but we wish to remind everyone of the safety rules on the race.

"We are withdrawing our complaint," Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme said, according to Reuters. "This story has been blown out of proportion, but we wish to remind everyone of the safety rules on the race.

"If you come to the Tour, you hold your kid, you hold your pet and don't cross the road carelessly. And above all, you respect the riders -- they're the ones worthy of live TV."
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »