How have the tech developments of 2022 impacted your life?

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Ozzie guy

How have the tech developments of 2022 impacted your life?

Post by Ozzie guy »

How has your life changed due to tech and other futurist related topics in 2022?
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: How has the tech developments of 2022 impacted your life?

Post by wjfox »

During a Teams video call, I half-joked with my colleagues about DALL·E 2.

Heh, this new AI can generate almost any image! No need for stock image websites or graphic artists anymore!

Except... oops. I realised... one of my colleagues is, herself, a graphic artist. We sometimes use her for magazine illustrations, etc.

It was rather awkward. :oops:

My boss tried to lighten the mood by explaining that humans would still be needed for more creative and nuanced work. And he's right ...for now. But I think in just a few years, we're going to see major disruption across many publishing/media/other industries, and what we're seeing now is just the tip of the iceberg.
funkervogt

Re: How has the tech developments of 2022 impacted your life?

Post by funkervogt »

It hasn't affected my everyday life, though it has affected my thinking about the speed of future advances.
Yuli Ban

Re: How have the tech developments of 2022 impacted your life?

Post by Yuli Ban »

Changed my mindset, and I am indeed addicted to ChatGPT and can always rely on image generation for certain needs, but otherwise there's no complete overhaul to my life. I don't earn any wages from AI. I haven't published any AI stories. The AI stories I've had generated thus far are interesting and a wonderful time sink, but I've rapidly discovered the limitations of AI and can see where it works and where it doesn't.

The shocking thing is that AI would have a transformative effect on my life if it was just a LITTLE BIT better. If image gen was just a bit more controllable and consistent, if img2img and Dreambooth were a bit easier to use, if you could just easily train models on your own images in a way that was intuitive and simple, if you could get image gen models to "save" certain characters and details and consistently generate them afterwards without leaving it up to random chance, if ChatGPT's context window was just twice as long, if it was only possible to train ChatGPT on your own text so you don't have to waste five prompts and half its available memory teaching it your characters and setting, if only ChatGPT didn't have an hour-long cooldown after only ~30 prompts (why on Earth haven't they allowed for an unlimited prompt paid tier yet? This is the single most frustrating aspect of ChatGPT by far)...

If all those little issues were resolved today, I could comfortably say AI would be life-transforming for me right now. But we're talking about 2022-era tech developments, so sticking to everything pre-January 1st, the cold fact is that all those little things brought down the general experience for me. The macroscale tech was amazing. It was all the microscale insufficiencies that left me wanting more, those little quality-of-life flaws that will inevitably be ironed out but were undoubtedly part of the 2022 AI experience.

I expect AI to get a LOT better in 2023, so I don't think I'll have the same things to say this time in 2024. January 8th, 2024, I fully expect to say things like "the tech developments of 2023 reinvigorated and transformed my life entirely."

Virtual reality was disappointing after a while, and I sold my headset for some extra bucks. Quest 2 is okay, but not great. I'll buy back in when the Varjo XR-3 or something even half as good as it is the norm. Just like AI, I can see the potential, but it's a bunch of little things that bring the whole thing down, except moreso since VR is more of an experience than a tool. When it worked, it really worked; my brain was thoroughly confused by motion in VR to the point my whole body would move appropriately in things like flying car and rollercoaster sims. It just needs a good number more years to iron out its deficiencies.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
peekpok

Post by peekpok »

I spent a lot of time playing with image generators in the last few months of 2022. I used ChatGPT to help me out with coding a few times.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on the next generation of image generators when they become available. Also hoping we'll see some drops in price this year although I'm not sure how likely that is.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:48 pm I expect AI to get a LOT better in 2023, so I don't think I'll have the same things to say this time in 2024. January 8th, 2024, I fully expect to say things like "the tech developments of 2023 reinvigorated and transformed my life entirely."
Would you say that today?
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.