Today I Learned

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Yuli Ban

Re: Today I Learned

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

This is particularly fascinating! Just shows how humans across time had to do things we can accomplish so easily now, with extra creativity to boot. I wonder if any other arid-biome society independently developed this method.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

A good and succinct explanation of the forces and states of matter leading to a neutron star and black hole:

https://www.daviddarling.info/encyclope ... atter.html

Electron degenerate matter

Electron degenerate matter is a form of degenerate matter in which the weight of overlying material tries to force all of the electrons surrounding the atomic nucleus into the lowest energy quantum state. The electrons resist, because of the Paul exclusion principle, and so exert a pressure, known as degenerate electron pressure or electron degeneracy pressure, that halts further collapse. This pressure is sufficient up to the Chandrasekar limit of about 1.4 solar masses. However, beyond this critical mass, gravity overwhelms the degeneracy pressure and results in further collapse.

raklian

Post by raklian »

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Phantom kangaroo
A phantom kangaroo is a report of kangaroos, wallabies, or their accompanying footprints in areas where there is no native population. Some explanations put forth are escaped zoo or circus animals (as in the UK), or publicity stunts by local businesses using photographs from Australia. Others suggest outbreaks of such sightings are a form of mass hysteria.