Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
erowind

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by erowind »

I'm feeling utterly catastrophic right now. Not due to crypto in case anyone wonders, this will pass as it always does in the market. (For now at least, this isn't the big collapse yet.) I'm sticking to that prediction too until proven otherwise lol.

No, our new house we moved into after getting kicked out by our last landlord because she wanted to sell is infested with bugs. My grandmother passed away who I was very close with, my friends mom died of cancer, another friends dog got killed by another dog, and I'm trialing hrt in like 2 days for a few weeks to see if it helps with my gender problems. All this in the span of weeks. What is this world. Surely this has to be it. I've been saying it for years now but surely things must turn up sometime soon here. Because as it stands I can't sleep.

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

erowind wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:37 pm I'm feeling utterly catastrophic right now. Not due to crypto in case anyone wonders, this will pass as it always does in the market. (For now at least, this isn't the big collapse yet.) I'm sticking to that prediction too until proven otherwise lol.

No, our new house we moved into after getting kicked out by our last landlord because she wanted to sell is infested with bugs. My grandmother passed away who I was very close with, my friends mom died of cancer, another friends dog got killed by another dog, and I'm trialing hrt in like 2 days for a few weeks to see if it helps with my gender problems. All this in the span of weeks. What is this world. Surely this has to be it. I've been saying it for years now but surely things must turn up sometime soon here. Because as it stands I can't sleep.

Sorry to hear you are going through all this. :(

I think your immediate priority should be to fix the bug situation. Which bugs are they, specifically? What's your current landlord like? Is the building shared with anyone else?

Surely there's some legal obligation on whoever owns the property. And if things are particularly bad, you might be able to get temporary alternative accommodation elsewhere.

Once the bugs are removed, your sleep is bound to improve as you'll be less anxious/stressed.
erowind

Post by erowind »

wjfox wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:17 pm Sorry to hear you are going through all this. :(

I think your immediate priority should be to fix the bug situation. Which bugs are they, specifically? What's your current landlord like? Is the building shared with anyone else?

Surely there's some legal obligation on whoever owns the property. And if things are particularly bad, you might be able to get temporary alternative accommodation elsewhere.

Once the bugs are removed, your sleep is bound to improve as you'll be less anxious/stressed.
We bought this home in the fall which is a good thing. My mum and I don't have to deal with landlords anymore and I'm grateful for that. We've already sprayed insecticide inside the house and sparingly outside the house around certain spots, but because we weren't able to close on the house and do that until late November they had already gotten inside for the season. There are two different species that overwinter in almost all the buildings in my city if precautions aren't taken. The asian ladybeetle and the brown marmorated stinkbug. Please no one post any pictures, I can't stand looking at them. This is a widespread problem here, I've seen both these bugs inside department stores, hospitals, restaurants, etc for years now.

The stinkbugs are the worst they are big, fly around audibly, bite when threatened, and smell awful. Everywhere I've lived since they became invasive in my region in 2010 has had problems with them but if you spray properly and seal houses properly they're not a problem. A well built home wouldn't even have to spray really. (And we hate doing it because insecticide is awful for the environment.)

I re-drywalled my room already and insulated my windows with duct tape and plastic till they can get replaced. We put an order in months ago but somehow there's a glass shortage even though glass is made from highly abundant materials like sand and limestone so our order won't be in until March or April probably. There's a few other spots I'm working to seal today that I didn't think would be a problem but I guess are. Hopefully I won't have any issues inside my bedroom at least within the next few weeks.

I get a few of them a day inside my bedroom right now. The ladybeetles are just annoying, the stinkbugs I have a genuine phobia of because I was a kid when they first arrived around 2010. That first year was an overpopulation boom and there would be dozens of them inside the interior of the house in any given room that first year.
BaobabScion

Post by BaobabScion »

erowind wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:55 am That first year was an overpopulation boom and there would be dozens of them inside the interior of the house in any given room that first year.
Oh sh!t, I would've burned the house down.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

It seems the transgender community is a place where they send agents for some reason. If the current FBI national security person who looks trans is any indication then it is one weird trend I've been noticing. It seems the full LGBT alphabet community won't be alone if that is the case.

Just a random thought that entered my mind when I saw you were trans.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:33 am It seems the transgender community is a place where they send agents for some reason. If the current FBI national security person who looks trans is any indication then it is one weird trend I've been noticing. It seems the full LGBT alphabet community won't be alone if that is the case.

Just a random thought that entered my mind when I saw you were trans.
I've not heard anything about that personally but it wouldn't surprise me. Queer people at large have a history of being radical, Stonewall was a leftist riot even though that piece of history is often omitted. I've noticed that trans people in particular skew farther left or right than the general population even compared to other queer people. I think that's because trans people haven't been accepted in the same way yet as gay or bi people have in some western countries. That isn't to say that gay or bi people don't face any struggles or discrimination, they still do, and these are recent cultural changes, but I've noticed they get accepted much more than trans people. Trans people are still a cultural outsider. Being a cultural outsider, sometimes the only option presented to move forward and claim one's rights is to be radical.

I don't know what I am yet. Without sounding like a soapbox I'm confident I'm gender fluid, and not in a meme way. I lean feminine, would be comfortable being a women, but I also don't mind some things about having some features of a male body. HRT is also it's own bundle of struggles even when it provides benefits for some people. This is just a trial to see if it helps more than harms for me.

Reflecting on all of this, I think my gender confusion is part of what made me interested in transhumanism. When I read Greg Egan's books as a teenager his stories about posthumans taking a myriad of different forms beyond just the masculine and feminine instantly clicked with me.

Update on my room. I spent all day sealing the rest of it. It was a big project, the only thing left now if they prove to be a problem are the vents.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Hope so dude because as it stands here in the USA they seem to send agents and other people there to temporarily satisfy the discomfort some ugly gremlins and goblins have against others. Transhumanism has nothing to do with transgenderism and as it stands transgenderism is being used to hammer down the last bit of women's rights for political purposes regardless of the percent of transgenders in the USA population. Once that is done I would not be surprised if it goes away and Transhumanism still stands since it is a robotics movement that will be very important in the coming decades.
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

I received an email today from "Clearer Thinking" that outlined all the different AI generators out there for creative content. While it didn't get to everything, I felt it was a pretty good summary of what's going on in the world with all this stuff. I was dissatisfied that they didn't have a good conclusion to the email though. I was hoping for some insights into how to deal with all the changes in all these industries...but I didn't see anything. Personally, I have since come to the conclusion that a lot of creative jobs in the world will disappear or vastly change much sooner than some of the dull, lower-paid work, and have adjusted myself accordingly, but it's still hard not to be disappointed/discouraged some days.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:35 pm Hope so dude because as it stands here in the USA they seem to send agents and other people there to temporarily satisfy the discomfort some ugly gremlins and goblins have against others.
At first I thought you were talking about something like COININTELPRO but now you've lost me.
the discomfort some ugly gremlins and goblins have against others.
The hell is that supposed to mean :|
Transhumanism has nothing to do with transgenderism and as it stands transgenderism is being used to hammer down the last bit of women's rights for political purposes regardless of the percent of transgenders in the USA population.
Bodily autonomy and morphological freedom are central concepts of transhumanism and have been for decades. People like Max More and Natasha Vita More have written extensively on this topic. I don't know what you mean by "transgenderism" as if it's some ideology. Being transgender is something that a person is or isn't, there's no "agenda." Moreover, stating that the rights of transpeople to access medical care (or whatever it is you're implying) is somehow in conflict with women's rights is both prejudice towards women and transpeople.
Once that is done I would not be surprised if it goes away and Transhumanism still stands since it is a robotics movement that will be very important in the coming decades.
Once "what" is done? What is "it?" Learn to type before you rattle off about some sexist bullshit using my emotions in a personal chat thread to springboard your own political insecurities.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Another night of horrendous insomnia. Why do I keep waking up at 4am, every morning, on the dot?