Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Time_Traveller

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by Time_Traveller »

Today, i started to redecorate my bedroom with my mum which was definitely needed, i am going for a Grey/Charcoal paint theme. Half of the wallpaper is off and will continue it tomorrow after work.

I hope to get new furniture which includes my bookcase and a DVD storage unit which would replace my 2 set of drawers, i am also putting my TV/DVD player on the wall.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Found on SomethingAwful
It's the most American game. 90 seconds of action, 5 minutes of meetings about the action, every spare surface and second is dedicated to advertising. You have constant intervention by authorities to ensure the appropriate outcome, and if you don't like it you can use a timeout to sue. :911:

The NFL's rulebook is 85 pages long, and changes every year. There are 15 rules of soccer, and they never change
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
ººº

Post by ººº »

^ It still makes more sense than baseball.
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

Yuli Ban wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:01 am Found on SomethingAwful
It's the most American game. 90 seconds of action, 5 minutes of meetings about the action, every spare surface and second is dedicated to advertising. You have constant intervention by authorities to ensure the appropriate outcome, and if you don't like it you can use a timeout to sue. :911:

The NFL's rulebook is 85 pages long, and changes every year. There are 15 rules of soccer, and they never change
The rules of soccer do change though not every year see things like the offside rule and video assistant referees
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I quit my call center job it was getting worse each week it reached the point where I was working multiple 11 hour shifts in a row, there was a new issue every few days and they wanted me to come in whist starting at 6am and working more than 8 hours (It was implied being made to come in was group punishment for not meeting targets without outright saying it). Yesterday I sent my supervisor a message to put in my two week notice before quitting, they worked a full shift after I sent my message and didn't even read my message when I could see them logged into our chat system. I called up and quit on the spot today. (I still need to go in and hand over my key card lol)

I have about 20k USD/30k AUD saved I think the way forward for me is to take my time ether getting a job with lots of happiness like something to do with animals or some kind of education path which I can derive self-worth and purpose from.

Regardless I do think we are in the "end times" and my next job may be the last one or I may not finish an education path before sh$t hits the fan due to AI. I am going to do my best to not factor this into decision making.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

I've been sick three or four times this year. I'm unsure of the number because the first time (or possibly two) I was sick for a week, not sick for a week, and then sick for a week again. A week is both a short enough span that the illness could've been in remission before suddenly spiking for one last round of "ugh, why god why", but also long enough that I could've been better and just picked up something new (my head was so stuffy the second time, when it hadn't been stuffy that first week). This was in January.

After the one cold or possibly two colds (not stuffy head vs stuffy head) I caught some sort of stomach virus that was going around. Puked once, some slight diarrhea, but the biggest thing for me was full one body aches (all my joints hurt) and an incredible feeling of weakness/tiredness. This too lasted about a week. That was in February.

Now skip to March. I was helping to babysit my baby niece (17 months old, she's so precious), but what we didn't know when we got her was she was in the "no symptoms yet" stage of hand foot and mouth disease. And although it's rare for adults to catch it, I caught it. Luckily the baby seems better and the sores she developed seem to be slowly disappearing/peeling. But I'm not recovering from this just yet, having gotten it later. I don't know how many more days I have to put up with this sickness (my face looks like a plague victim's, come on!) but at least foot hand and mouth is only supposed to last like a week tops I guess.

But really, I've been sick every month this year so far, when for the last decade plus I've only ever gotten sick maybe once a year, and often not at all. But then during most of that time my sister hadn't married into an instant family scenario and my dad/stepmom/adopted brother lived too far to visit often. But my sister has a family now, and a new baby, and my dad/stepmom moved to be closer to their new grandbaby -so the reason for my sudden illness streak is just more time with family and family friends, which is a good thing over all. After all, every time I've been sick at least one other person in the family had it recently or still had it. But I should probably look into taking some vitamin regimen or something to boost my immune system if increased family life means increased exposure.

But seriously I caught hand foot and mouth. :(
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I'm in a very crowded disco right now. Unmasked. It'll be a miracle if I don't get Covid after this.
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

wjfox wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:58 pm I'm in a very crowded disco right now. Unmasked. It'll be a miracle if I don't get Covid after this.
Hope you're doing ok WJ Fox. I just got back from the US for the first time had a great time getting away from the miserable British weather.
Trying to have as many experiences just enjoying life like this as much as possible before AGI comes which seems increasingly closer.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I was playing this at my brother's house over the weekend, for the first time in almost 30 years.

My favourite shoot-'em-up on the Sega Megadrive, and some of the best music of any console game!

To clarify, the original was on the Megadrive, this version has been converted to play on Switch.

Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

For over a year now I've been in what some call a neurodivergent shutdown. The horror show of abuse and strain from the job I was working legitimately destroyed me and left me with panic attacks and sleep issues. The slum I'm forced to live in compounds that problem. And in the last 2 years I lost my only means of transport, nearly ended up homeless again, nearly lost the replacement transport, had shingles, covid for the second time, emergency gallbladder surgery that lead to complications with internal bleeding, financial setbacks, development of a tremor, and recently ocular migraine (which left me blind for a half hour).

There are no support systems in this region of the country, and no such thing as real healthcare in this country.

and it's hard to decide if I would even want to live through this kind of life for another 40 years, even if I believed we'd make the advances needed to reach a life expectancy of 80+... Which I very much doubt more and more each year.

some of this pessimism comes from looking at data. and how neurodivergent populations are many times more prone to homelessness, heart disease, diabetes, epilepsy, neurodegenerative disorders, suicide and generally decreasing quality of life... in studies run on populations in countries with a national healthcare system and better quality of life than the lower economic bracket of US populations. And in those countries the life expectancy of autistic individuals is between 15 and 20 years less than neurotypicals.

so not only do I have a 1-2 decades shorter life expectancy, I'm likely to suffer more during that time, and never be allowed to achieve anything with my life. and things don't look like they are getting better. In fact they seem to be getting crazier every year.

it's hard to try and pull out of this burnt out, shut down and the world seems dead set on not giving me the chance to recouperate.