Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:53 pm climate change (at first it was global cooling)
No it wasn't.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Some people would probably want me to feel like a villain, because I'm a white male middle class, so of course the likes of me are responsible for global warming, animal extinction, racism, sexism and exploitation of children in poor countries.

Unfortunately these problems don't feel that important to me, when my back hurts, my stomach hurts, my head hurts, I hardly find anything enjoyable and I don't even know what I'm living for at this point. I don't even eat meat and I don't travel much these days. Everyone has something to do.

So sorry for not considering climate change my priority.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Tadasuke's opinion on goals and population

Post by Tadasuke »

I think that it would be constructive and helpful to push for hope, optimism and agency among people instead of fear, negativity and anxiety.

Our goal ought to be to make the world (or a virtual world as well) a drastically better place than it was in the year 2000, instead of just trying to prevent it from being drastically worse than in the year 2000 (or only slightly better). In the latter case, we would only be keeping ourselves from being totally miserable, instead of trying to be much healthier and happier (and more sustainable as well), which is objectively a better long-term goal. Something like Yuli Ban's Y2K stasis.

I'm not sure what to think about this topic anymore, but for a long time, I was of opinion, that it would be optimal to strive for a population of 15 - 25 billion, but of not standard homo sapiens, instead of much improved, enhanced, augmented, enlightened homo sapiens+, transhumans or posthumans. However, some people (Isaac Arthur among them) are of opinion that a lot greater numbers would be ok and beneficial (for example for distant space colonization and even in this solar system). So perhaps trillions (or more) isn't a bad idea. The Universe is HUGE after all (but I have my doubts whether inter-galactic travel is practical).
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I'm looking forward to seeing this!

A friend and I are going to the exhibit next month.

lechwall

Post by lechwall »

wjfox wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 am I'm looking forward to seeing this!

A friend and I are going to the exhibit next month.

Looks really cool is this a permanent exhibit?
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

lechwall wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:42 am
Looks really cool is this a permanent exhibit?
Runs until 7 January 2024.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit/exhibitions/titanosaur.html
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

During a walk through woodlands just now, I got bit by a horsefly. These things are unbelievable - razor sharp teeth, I was literally bleeding!

Luckily I had some alcohol soap in my bag, which I applied liberally.

Not looking forward to the next few days of swelling though...
erowind

Post by erowind »

Horseflies need some protein found in blood to reproduce and they can’t metabolize it themselves. Who knows why they evolved like that.

In other news, I just came here to say relationships are really hard and i’m the most conflicted i’ve ever been and it sucks.
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

Just became a dad :D tired but very happy. My son will certainly see a lot of change in his life that's for sure
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

lechwall wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:36 am Just became a dad :D tired but very happy. My son will certainly see a lot of change in his life that's for sure
Amazing, and wonderful news! Congratulations! :D