Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Redspector

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by Redspector »

So many places are just overgrown with weeds and tall grass now. Ever since the pandemic, the grass along the side of the roads and highways have grown to the point where they are 2-5 feet tall. Every highway ramp has homeless people now. There are random things scattered on the side of the highways like sofas, garbage bags, random machines, car motors etc. The city i live in has a almost permanent homeless encampment now in the city. The homeless population there is mostly mentally ill and will aggressively ask you for money at best and attack you at worst. Car burglaries have gone up in my neighborhood.

This isn't to say there aren't any positive changes i've seen. There are far more people walking outside now who aren't homeless. My city has seen a increase in its budget from stimulus funding and used that money to repair roads. There is a growing amount of people who are class conscious over the dogma of political parties. I've personally seen people go from being trump/biden supporters to just thinking that both parties are bought out by the rich and the rich are the true enemies.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I think I have been bitten by a poisonous spider, it's not a big deal I just have a painful lump. I find it interesting as I think its the first time I have had a painful experience with a bug other than a bee.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

I'm so glad I found that referral to this forum and finally signed up to be here. As of right now I am getting back into doing my daily morning exercise and other things I would do years ago before I lost my way due to not finding like minded people. You cannot underestimate what the power of a community can do to one person. Its nice to be around future tech oriented open minded people again and I am grateful for it. Now I can make up for lost time for not finding this back in 2009 :D
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Had a great weekend, meeting my brother, who I hadn't seen in over 18 months.

We had lunch at a French cafe in Covent Garden, then a wander around the West End, including some chocolate shops, and then Foyles bookstore.

After that, we saw the new James Bond – it's very good, and quite different to the previous films. Felt somewhat nervous to hear coughing in the audience, but my desire to see the film outweighed the relatively small risk of Covid infection.

Still haven't seen my parents in almost two years, although that's partly for non-Covid reasons (they're busy with various stuff), but hopefully will get to visit them before or during Christmas.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Update to my new job: - I had my induction today and i officially start at 6am on Tuesday 12th October.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Redspector

Post by Redspector »

Everything is dull without a sexual partner. I don't know how some people just live their lives alone. Maybe i have hypersexuality.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

Just changed my avatar to one generated at https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/.

I think people pay more attention and are less rude when the avatar is a human.
And, as always, bye bye.
erowind

Post by erowind »

/\ So that’s where that image came from! Fitting for a futurist forum though I much prefer avatars that aren’t people for aesthetic reasons online. They feel more old internet to me.

Anywho. Completely unrelated, having covid anxiety again. I really hate this. The uncertainty, not knowing if my mom will be safe and other relatives. It’s like fighting a war with no V-Day. There will be no triumph or reward when this is over, only relief and regrets.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

erowind wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:57 am
Anywho. Completely unrelated, having covid anxiety again. I really hate this. The uncertainty, not knowing if my mom will be safe and other relatives. It’s like fighting a war with no V-Day. There will be no triumph or reward when this is over, only relief and regrets.

Same here. Even though I'm double-vaxxed, and my family are all double-vaxxed too.

I keep reading about people who are double-vaxxed, who still get infected, and they say it's the worst illness they've ever had. And then I read about those with permanent effects on their organs, energy levels, etc. and so-called Long Covid.

I need to go out and buy stuff (e.g. new shoes, clothes), which involves a trip on the London Tube and then inside crowded shops. How am I supposed to feel calm, and like everything's normal, when the UK now has 45,000+ cases each day (by far the worst in Europe), and most people here aren't even bothering with masks anymore?

With Covid, Brexit, this awful government, climate change, the angry cesspit of social media, and everything else, it's a depressing time to be alive.

I sometimes wish I could travel back in time to 2012-15 (probably the best period of my life, before we entered the weird, dystopian, alternative universe of 2016-2021).
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

I have now written more than 20,000 words for my novel. That may be nothing compared to a text generator, but it is still quite an accomplishment. I've never written so many words for one story in my life. Lol! On to the next 20,000 (although my book may be shorter than I anticipated).