Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
RayKurzweilLovesCats

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by RayKurzweilLovesCats »

wjfox wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:09 pm
erowind wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:57 am
Anywho. Completely unrelated, having covid anxiety again. I really hate this. The uncertainty, not knowing if my mom will be safe and other relatives. It’s like fighting a war with no V-Day. There will be no triumph or reward when this is over, only relief and regrets.

Same here. Even though I'm double-vaxxed, and my family are all double-vaxxed too.

I keep reading about people who are double-vaxxed, who still get infected, and they say it's the worst illness they've ever had. And then I read about those with permanent effects on their organs, energy levels, etc. and so-called Long Covid.

I need to go out and buy stuff (e.g. new shoes, clothes), which involves a trip on the London Tube and then inside crowded shops. How am I supposed to feel calm, and like everything's normal, when the UK now has 45,000+ cases each day (by far the worst in Europe), and most people here aren't even bothering with masks anymore?

With Covid, Brexit, this awful government, climate change, the angry cesspit of social media, and everything else, it's a depressing time to be alive.

I sometimes wish I could travel back in time to 2012-15 (probably the best period of my life, before we entered the weird, dystopian, alternative universe of 2016-2021).
Things should reach a period of relative stability Covid wise next spring I reckon you'll be able to get a booster then should you wish.
Redspector

Post by Redspector »

My relative has a incurable disease that is 100% non-fatal but permanently reduces quality of life. Everything tires her now and she has lost her muscle mass and gained anxiety for nearly everything. I cannot comfort her or do anything. She has lost her ability to enjoy the things she used to do and unfortunately i have to take care of her now more than ever. Its so much work but i'll do it until i die.

Insurance prices have gone up since 2020 and its ridiculous how much medicine costs. I increasingly view the owners and executives of these health insurance companies and pharmaceutical industry lobbyists as pure evil. People go bankrupt and die trying to afford medicine which is absurdly above its production price and even with the need for profit to fund the production process, it is still well above even that. I wish joe biden was actually a communist like neo-conservatives think he is and would just nationalize the industry and distribute the goods according to need. I hate living in america so much.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Wow, I actually managed a good sleep last night.

I'm reading this book again, and using its accompanying audio (self-hypnosis). It really does work...

If you suffer from insomnia, I highly recommend this –

Link to U.S. version –

Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

wjfox wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:10 am Wow, I actually managed a good sleep last night.

I'm reading this book again, and using its accompanying audio (self-hypnosis). It really does work...

If you suffer from insomnia, I highly recommend this –

Link to U.S. version –

Hey I came across this product randomly today and I think it will work well with your sleep hypnosis. Headphones specifically designed to sleep whist listening to something, I think they will increase comfort rather than reducing comfort as they are like slippers for your head https://www.sleepphones.com/?aff=72
Redspector

Post by Redspector »

Got a nice lava lamp and have been working out. I reached a bench of 145 yesterday as my 1 rep max. Im getting up there but still not where i'd like to be. I have been eating 150 grams of protein a day and because of that my bowel movements aren't as common as they used to be. I have decided to eat beans so i can do the "business" in the bathroom. I drank too much last weekend with my friend and i had to stay at his home because i couldn't drive. I need to stop spending so much money on alcohol and start spending more money on protein.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I've been thinking about it and realised I shouldn't need to look at any futurism until at least 2025 its basically impossible human level AI or the singularity happens by then.

Any futurism I look at pre 2025 is just part of my internet addiction and will not lead to me witnessing the singularity happening or boosting my confidence in the future.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Set and Meet Goals wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:29 am I've been thinking about it and realised I shouldn't need to look at any futurism until at least 2025 its basically impossible human level AI or the singularity happens by then.

Any futurism I look at pre 2025 is just part of my internet addiction and will not lead to me witnessing the singularity happening or boosting my confidence in the future.

Don't you think you're a bit... obsessed with this subject?

It's like your entire world view is focussed on AI within this decade.

You're saying there's nothing in science or technology that would interest you before 2025?

I would suggest your problem isn't "internet addiction", but is more "singularity addiction".

Anyway, the singularity won't necessarily be a good thing. Imagine bots with human-like (or better) AI, able to manipulate people and world events to favour the rich oligarchs and make them even more powerful. Potentially even leading to a global genocide at some point. You assume it's going to be this perfect utopia overnight, while completely ignoring the massive risks of this gigantically powerful technology.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

wjfox wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:30 am
Set and Meet Goals wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:29 am I've been thinking about it and realised I shouldn't need to look at any futurism until at least 2025 its basically impossible human level AI or the singularity happens by then.

Don't you think you're a bit... obsessed with this subject?

It's like your entire world view is focussed on AI within this decade.

You're saying there's nothing in science or technology that would interest you before 2025?

I would suggest your problem isn't "internet addiction", but is more "singularity addiction".

Anyway, the singularity won't necessarily be a good thing. Imagine bots with human-like (or better) AI, able to manipulate people and world events to favour the rich oligarchs and make them even more powerful. Potentially even leading to a global genocide at some point. You assume it's going to be this perfect utopia overnight, while completely ignoring the massive risks of this gigantically powerful technology.
I am certainly obsessed I will google for news multiple times a day even though not much change should occur in a month.
I am very unhappy in life and feel like the singularity is my only hope of happiness.
I have been making improvements, my thought right now is that I need to develop the frame of mind that if I have a hope of happiness its though giving myself more time to work on myself by reducing internet use especially singularity related internet.

I don't think much would, I am also interested in age reversal and cryonics but I don't think much will happen pre 2025.

It looks like I have replaced a Marxist addiction with a singularity one as I used to be like RedSpector but not rude (I hope) so I think I need to cut down on the internet all together.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Set and Meet Goals wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:54 am It looks like I have replaced a Marxist addiction with a singularity one as I used to be like RedSpector but not rude (I hope) so I think I need to cut down on the internet all together.
You were never aggressive in that way please don't worry. I've been ruder on the forum than you have before and I remember you checking in on how people were feeling and usually leaving a caveat at the end of whatever you wrote that you might be wrong.

Btw, in the future I may be down to be a check in person on personal goals with you. I need to fix my sleep but I'm in the middle of a move to a new house right now so I don't have the energy to anything more than I already am for the time being.

Thankyou for posting those sleep headphones, once I move I might try to switch to them. I already sleep with headphones but they're bulky noise cancelling ones. This new place might be quiet enough that non-noise cancelling headphones might work.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

erowind wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:45 am
Set and Meet Goals wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:54 am It looks like I have replaced a Marxist addiction with a singularity one as I used to be like RedSpector but not rude (I hope) so I think I need to cut down on the internet all together.
You were never aggressive in that way please don't worry. I've been ruder on the forum than you have before and I remember you checking in on how people were feeling and usually leaving a caveat at the end of whatever you wrote that you might be wrong.

Btw, in the future I may be down to be a check in person on personal goals with you. I need to fix my sleep but I'm in the middle of a move to a new house right now so I don't have the energy to anything more than I already am for the time being.

Thankyou for posting those sleep headphones, once I move I might try to switch to them. I already sleep with headphones but they're bulky noise cancelling ones. This new place might be quiet enough that non-noise cancelling headphones might work.
Feel free to message me on discord, I will be check there even if I do get away from unproductive internet as there is a quitting internet support group there I am in. My name should be "just some guy on the internet #7637" I am making a fresh attempt tomorrow.

If you need something to block sound ear plugs may work better than earphones I just recommended earphones to wjfox as he has a audiotape to self hypnotise you to sleep.