Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
caltrek

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by caltrek »

I received my Covid booster shot yesterday. I woke up this morning with a splitting headache and a feeling as if I were fighting something off. I am not saying they are related, as I can get headaches for other reasons. Still, they are rarely so severe. On my wife's advice, I have taken a couple of Tylenol and taken plenty of liquids. That seems to have helped.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Revolutionary Moderate

Post by Revolutionary Moderate »

I got my COVID-19 booster shot today at noon. The only side effect that it has had is that is made my arm weak and sore, which was the same side effect that I had when I got my second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
The Potato Praiser
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Hopefully, I am not giving away too much about that Facebook group I mentioned if I share this link:

http://santafefilmfestival.com/index/fi ... -together/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Visitors to my garden today.

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Besides COVID and our bungled response to it, I hold the opinion that the next few years are going to be outrageously interesting. For many, it might be dystopian, but I find what's coming to be extremely fascinating.
Sam Altman's hinting at it:

The way I see it, we're going to have a couple years of multimodal and massively multimodal (i.e. three or more modalities) AI to play around with, and at some point between now and 2024, we're going to see the first "Magic Media Machine"— an AI that can synthesize just about anything within reason, giving birth to the age of "bedroom multimedia franchises." I wouldn't be surprised if OpenAI will be behind it.

By "massively multimodal," I mean that you could input text and it spits out an animation, complete with sound and captions, showing off the full breadth of its abilities rather than something that sticks to text and image or text and audio or audio and image or whatnot. A massively multimodal AI might be what we use to leapfrog to proto-AGI. All that's certainly coming in very short notice.

Really makes the new FTL forums feel like such a different place from the old ones. I remember reading those archives going back to 2011. Outside of the scare of an economic collapse in 2011 that never came, those early years of the old forums felt so quaint and optimistic in spite of the fact that sci-tech was just so lame by contemporary standards. 2021 is pure science fiction in comparison. Whereas 2011 didn't seem that outrageous to some hypothetical observer from 2001. Indeed, in some ways, 2001 was a more optimistic year to be a futurist because you'd be coming hot off that last big spurt of progress that happened in 1995-2000 (e.g. cloning, GPS, internet availability, DVDs, Human Genome Project, International Space Station, etc.) whereas 2011 was smackdab in the middle of a recession of visible progress in just about every field except smartphones and, to a VERY limited extent, AI (and even then, smartphones were still in an early phase of adoption and deep learning was a full year away from becoming a major AI trend).

And what even needs to be said about the FIRST forum for FTL, the one from 2009? I loved hate-reading that one because of how ancient sci-tech felt during that era. Just feels bad considering 2009-era futurism.

So let it be known that things have been accelerating recently; I hope no one's suffering any delusion that things have slowed down or haven't changed in the past decade.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Just booked three weeks' holiday from later this month (I've been saving up most of my annual leave until year end). So I'll have plenty of time to work on Past Timeline in late December/early Jan. :)
Revolutionary Moderate

Post by Revolutionary Moderate »

I have a terrible memory and I think I know why, because in 2001, when I was either 2 or 3 years old, I was injured when my older sister opened one of my mom's minivan's back passengers doors, which open by sliding backward, and I was standing behind the door, so the opening door hit my right in my forehead. I have no memory of this, although this is probably do to being not old enough, rather than a result of the accident. I can still see where the door hit me in my forehead. I don't blame my sister for this, since she was only 8 years old. It is only my long-term memory that is terrible as my short-term memory is okay, and perhaps the accident had some benefits, since my mental health is perfect, although I also live a stress-free life, so that might be why as well.
The Potato Praiser
Ken_J

Post by Ken_J »

silly project I've been doing this month. Invent Calendar: an invention idea every day for the month of December.

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

Well, tomorrow I have 2,000 more words to write and then I am done with my first draft of my novel. It will be 60,000 words! Yay! This has been so grueling though! Of course, for a fantasy novel, this will be way too short, but I'm hoping whenever I end up working on my second draft, that it gets up to 80,000 words. There is one part of my novel in particular that definitely needs more added to it, so I'm hoping I can add more there, plus more stories and/or details elsewhere.