Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
wjfox
Site Admin

Personal chat thread

Post by wjfox »

An exhausting, but productive weekend. Practically non-stop at my keyboard here. Still a way to go, but I'm proud of what I achieved, and excited about improving this forum even further in the coming days/weeks. Looking forward to everyone's feedback and ideas. :)
MBM

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by MBM »

Testing to see if I need to reintroduce myself in order to post replies.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

wjfox wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:03 pm An exhausting, but productive weekend. Practically non-stop at my keyboard here. Still a way to go, but I'm proud of what I achieved, and excited about improving this forum even further in the coming days/weeks. Looking forward to everyone's feedback and ideas. :)
What are the advantages of the new forum over the old one???
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:30 pm
What are the advantages of the new forum over the old one???

– Database is brand new, and no longer broken, which greatly improves forum stability, security, and ability to add new features

– phpBB is open source, with an entire global community for technical support. So if anything does go wrong, we won't be solely reliant on Jon Reid (Caiman), who was almost never here

– SSL certificate is now installed across the entire forum, making posts and user data more secure

– Admin control panel is vastly improved

– Support for Google Analytics, for improved monitoring of site traffic

– Twitter embedding is now enabled. So, no need to screenshot tweets and re-upload anymore, just post the tweet URL and it'll appear.

– YouTube embedding was broken before, and is now fixed.

– WebP image embedding is now supported (in recent years, this image format has begun to rival .jpeg)

– Larger avatars

– Improved search engine

– Increased storage space for PMs, plus ability to organise messages

– Chatbox can update in real time, and includes sound notification

– Return of the "like" button.

I think people are focusing too much on the appearance/styling. The new forum is, objectively, an improvement on the previous one. Yeah... I know people miss the dark theme (I miss it too), and the banner needs some improvement, but I'm working on that. :)
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

As someone who never even used the dark theme post-2015, the only issue with this forum I have is that there's no content... yet.
And heck, if someone does become a hero and host the archive somewhere online, we could have a direct link to it on this forum.

I do have a question as to if gifvs and mp4s are supported.
Let's see:

Edit: They are

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Got a load of shampoo in my left eye this morning. It wasn't fun, I tell ya.
Cody93

Post by Cody93 »

The side effects from my second Moderna shot were not fun. Intense chills and hardcore aches all over like I've never had before. Thankfully seem to be getting over it now after about 8 hours of that.
An apple pie from scratch.

🏳‍🌈🌈
erowind

Post by erowind »

/\ Same Cody. Nuance on my part is that flu has felt this bad for me before. The second dose still isn't as bad as the flu because at least I don't have a sore throat and can actually sleep.
Cody93

Post by Cody93 »

I thankfully haven't had the flu in a long time. The soreness lingered over the next two days cause of the muscle aches, almost gave me a strange hangover-like feeling. I've had a few vaccines in recent years and barely ever react to them, so this was a first. Finally on the other side at least. :)
An apple pie from scratch.

🏳‍🌈🌈
Revolutionary Moderate

Post by Revolutionary Moderate »

During a thunderstorm today, a lightning bolt hit the ground near my house because it was loudest lightning I have ever heard.
The Potato Praiser