Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
citali_

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by citali_ »

I'm in celebration mode...lol. I will be releasing a new song very soon. Earlier today, I received an email telling me that my song was approved for distribution. It was such a long process! But in the end it is very worth it. I just hope fans like this new song. It is different from what I usually do.
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I got the job.

Customer service representative for a government organisation but employed by a private sector company that has a contract with the government.

A bit over $28 AUD an hour ($19.50 USD/£16 pounds) should be 1.5X pay Saturday 2X pay Sunday, casual, work from home, only representing one organisation, promotion opportunity.

I now feel set for life. I shouldn't get ahead of myself as I first need to do a training week starting June 20th but I can't imagine I will fail training for a largely verbal job I already have experience in.

I feel set for life because now I will probably be able to do my own thing most of the week, making time breeze by as we approach AGI, whist I still earn and save money.

I don't want to sound like I am bragging. On top of the perminant issues in my life, I spent along time without long term work and I actually was unfairly dismissed by the previous call centre job I just had because they didn't like that I had a psychiatrist appointment, I felt embarrassed to say this here at the time so I blurred the truth here and said I was in the process of getting a better job without saying I was dismissed. That's why I applied for a casual position this time.
On top of this when finalising getting the position, the check of my police records went to "manual processing" by police. This means you have a common name (which I do) or there is something in your record to report. This scared the shit out of me as I was once found guilty of a crime but without a conviction (basically this means legally guilty but morally in the right). The manual check took about 14 days and I had to have my start date pushed back twice, I was worried I could lose the position just on the basis the check was taking too long. In the end nothing showed up on my police check hence why I got the job. Also in the last week my computer finally broke with not enough time for it to be repaired before work so I needed to buy a new one (and other stuff) for work before even knowing if I had the job due to the police check thing. Its not like I could tell the employer "my police check might show something so I need more time after the check passes to buy a computer". It's just nice to finally have a bit of stability in my life which is why I am so happy but truthfully this job is good enough for me to stick with until radical change from AGI.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

My sentiment exactly.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Yuli Ban wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:39 pm

My sentiment exactly.
Not really? I mean, I think we'll develop an AGI well before we actually invest in the tech to scan and deflect any asteroids headed our way, and AGI is going to do a lot of amazing things and help us in so many ways, like there's no way probably we achieve the escape velocity of longevity without it, but this particular example is kinda weird. If we wanted to, we could create a defense system for asteroids without an AGI. Like this one isn't a question of technology so complex we need an AGI to figure out how to do it, like say creating incredibly advanced microchips for pennies that we could sprinkle them in our roads and bridges to monitor every inch of the highway. We already have most of the tech or know how to deal with asteroids, we just refuse to put in the funding because people think it's too unlikely a threat to pool our resources into right now. I mean, it's stupid because if we did detect an asteroid heading our way that could wipe us out, we aren't likely to get things together in time to divert it, but people just think it's an acceptable risk because a human extinction level asteroid's never hit our planet in the time we've been a species on the planet. But if we decided to fund it, we could do it.

Sorry, not really making an argument against AGI, because like you I think it's going to be monumental and change everything, or close enough to it within the laws of physics (and it'll be able to learn more of the laws of physics as they actually are in our universe than we could ever learn without it - like right now we mostly just kind of assume time travel is impossible cause "reasons", even though we know nothing in physics that says it can't be done - an AGI/ASI would probably definitively learn for a fact one way or another if it is possible or not). But this is just a weird use case example because we already know the science to divert big space rocks off course, we just haven't funded the means to do so. An AGI might make it so we get that made sooner by putting us into an age of abundance where we think nothing of putting in the resources, but it's not quite the same thing.

I know, stupid nitpick that went on too long, but I just wanted to point out that the asteroid problem isn't so advanced only an AGI could save us (unlike a lot of other problems where, yeah, we need an AGI like yesterday).
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

I love thinking back to the early 2010s, especially 2014 when I first became a "Born-Again Singularitarian."

And I marvel at just how far artificial neural networks have come since then. I remember being astounded that I could use an ANN to generate text back in 2019, and yet now that feels so primitive.

2014 is another world entirely. Our current condition was promised to be, and yet no one thought it'd be like this.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Crappy and disappointing Monday, after a great weekend. This heat is becoming really uncomfortable. And now they're forecasting an extreme heatwave for later this week – possibly into the late 30s celsius! :oops:
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

wjfox wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:50 pm Crappy and disappointing Monday, after a great weekend. This heat is becoming really uncomfortable. And now they're forecasting an extreme heatwave for later this week – possibly into the late 30s celsius! :oops:
Good luck!
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Thirsty birds in my garden today. :)

London reached 40°C for the first time on record, so I put some water outside.

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

1976 all over again?
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:33 pm 1976 all over again?
My Dad phoned just now, and we talked about this.

He said the summer of '76 wasn't particularly hot (although by 1970s standards, it was). Mostly in the range of 28-30°C (82-85°F).

What made it so unusual was that this went on for a very long period, about two months.

By contrast, the heat we've had lately has been in the low 30s for a few days, culminating in two days of 38-40°C (100-104°F). This sort of temperature wasn't expected until 2050, btw. My Dad used to be a climate change denier, but has changed his stance in recent years, and now supports action.