Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
QuantumTime

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by QuantumTime »

Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:16 pm
QuantumTime wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:09 am Wish me luck guys, I may be getting my first research position at one of the national labs in the U.S doing research in quantum computing and AI. I'll be pursuing my PhD in the next two years so trying to get some more research experience under my belt to get myself set for graduate school!
Be careful man cause I imagine some more prestigious positions in those labs might require a clearance. Even if you do not get one hopefully you will be ok because if someone with a clearance does leak something that gets around on the open web virally then stupid shit starts happening to people. Never mind you as a civilian may have stumbled upon it by chance on places like Facebook or old school Liveleak at the time so how would you know? Even if the intel agents don't want to "he/she knows too much" people the tosser/plonker giving the order won't care and it may not be to you but the people around you that get affected.

Anyways I'm sure you have some debt to pay off and those studies will probably pan out to be awesome once you get around a real environment using science in great ways.
Thanks, whether or not a security clearnace is necessary depends on the position. I know quite a few positions at Sandia Labs in Albuquerque that require a DOE security clearance. Most other national labs I looked at don't appear to require a clearance for their intern roles.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

This evening, I was lucky enough to see Richard Dawkins in person, at the Emmanuel Centre in Westminster, London. He was promoting his new book, "Flights of Fancy: Defying Gravity by Design and Evolution".

The conversation between him and interviewer Robin Ince was fascinating – it didn't just cover the evolution of flight, but also science in general, and many subjects relevant to today, e.g. climate change, AI, the Singularity, the spread of disinformation, and so on.

The way he described the progress of flight was amazing, as it evolved over such massive timescales, in a gradual and subtle way, e.g. squirrels gaining flaps of skin that improved the aerodynamics of jumping, millimetre by millimetre across thousands of generations. And in some cases, it actually reversed, e.g. certain birds became flightless. The complete talk will be available online soon – I highly recommend it. :)

Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

QuantumTime wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:48 am
Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:16 pm
QuantumTime wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:09 am Wish me luck guys, I may be getting my first research position at one of the national labs in the U.S doing research in quantum computing and AI. I'll be pursuing my PhD in the next two years so trying to get some more research experience under my belt to get myself set for graduate school!
Be careful man cause I imagine some more prestigious positions in those labs might require a clearance. Even if you do not get one hopefully you will be ok because if someone with a clearance does leak something that gets around on the open web virally then stupid shit starts happening to people. Never mind you as a civilian may have stumbled upon it by chance on places like Facebook or old school Liveleak at the time so how would you know? Even if the intel agents don't want to "he/she knows too much" people the tosser/plonker giving the order won't care and it may not be to you but the people around you that get affected.

Anyways I'm sure you have some debt to pay off and those studies will probably pan out to be awesome once you get around a real environment using science in great ways.
Thanks, whether or not a security clearnace is necessary depends on the position. I know quite a few positions at Sandia Labs in Albuquerque that require a DOE security clearance. Most other national labs I looked at don't appear to require a clearance for their intern roles.
That's good then at least you're aware which should not be surprising for someone who is of a researcher background.

Even if you may have intended sarcasm before typing to yourself or in the text itself I do not detect it. I would hope it was just written neutrally. I assure you what I am saying is 100% real. In fact what I saw starting back in 2011 on old school Liveleak at the time was written about on NYT around 2018 of what was a formerly classified program yet it was being leaked on Liveleak through the videos of the fighting that was going on around that time globally. Since I had been trained in one of the weapon systems I saw I didn't think much of it when I talked to some of my peer group at the time and oh boy did everything change for everyone who saw those vids. Not sure what happened to the actual people involved with that sort of stuff but at least for the civilian side of things people got jacked up for no reason and that was just here in Miami, FL. That experience showed me the behaviour of scammers America has when you find out obvious stuff like it is not the land of the free so I get it when people start posting anti capitalist stuff though they do take it a bit too far. And mind you I never held a security clearance and after what I went through I'm glad I never did and don't plan to.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

Good chance I will get a new job tomorrow. Covid shouldn't cause any employment problems.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I got a job cleaning 5 star hotels. Imagine my sorry ass maintaining 5 star hotel standards :lol:

A woman who went to the same job interview building as me. Started flirting with me on the bus I didn't have it in me to ask her for her number on the bus I would have back in the day.

Today is a weird day I am not sure if the 5 star hotel job or getting chatted up on the bus by a woman is more strange.

Generally sober women NEVER in the middle of the day initate conversation with a man they don't know on the bus when they are not sitting near them and then overly invest in the conversation (talk non stop whist I barely responded).
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

A crazy woman? There are lots of them around.
Is the job paid alright?
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

Following my night time tradition of opening up YouTube to check the latest videos before bed and I was very sad that I had to watch my favorite youtuber (Anton Petrov) tell his subscribers that his infant son had died. The guy is probably the kindest youtuber ever... World is really not fair.
And, as always, bye bye.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

andmar74 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:41 pm A crazy woman? There are lots of them around.
Is the job paid alright?
A bit over $20 Australian an hour which is close to $15 USD. Our pay also gets multiplied by I think 1.5 on saturday and is doubled on sunday. I am not sure how Australian prices differ to US prices.

I am not sure she is probably just weird.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I was having a great week – but it's just been ruined.

On Tuesday I had to attend my annual review in person, my first time in the office since September last year. This morning, I get an email from the office manager, saying that two people who were in the office that day have since tested positive for Covid. Both were only 3-4 metres from me, it's a small room with closed windows, and I was there for 8 hours. I almost certainly caught the virus.

I got my 3rd jab in December. So I don't feel at all worried about dying, or being hospitalised, which I consider extremely unlikely. But the longer-term effects are really concerning to me, such as neurological damage (even in mild cases), and a year shaved off my life expectancy. It boggles my mind when people are so casual about their health and insist this thing is "just like the flu" when it clearly isn't.

I had big plans for this Friday. A friend of mine wanted to see some live jazz, and I was taking her to a club and restaurant in the City. That won't happen now. I'd already paid 60 quid in advance.

I mean... I don't have to isolate now (legally), but morally it's the right thing to do.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

wjfox wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:03 pm I was having a great week – but it's just been ruined.

On Tuesday I had to attend my annual review in person, my first time in the office since September last year. This morning, I get an email from the office manager, saying that two people who were in the office that day have since tested positive for Covid. Both were only 3-4 metres from me, it's a small room with closed windows, and I was there for 8 hours. I almost certainly caught the virus.

I got my 3rd jab in December. So I don't feel at all worried about dying, or being hospitalised, which I consider extremely unlikely. But the longer-term effects are really concerning to me, such as neurological damage (even in mild cases), and a year shaved off my life expectancy. It boggles my mind when people are so casual about their health and insist this thing is "just like the flu" when it clearly isn't.

I had big plans for this Friday. A friend of mine wanted to see some live jazz, and I was taking her to a club and restaurant in the City. That won't happen now. I'd already paid 60 quid in advance.

I mean... I don't have to isolate now (legally), but morally it's the right thing to do.
You have correctly said: as you've been vaccinated recently it should not be a life threatening experience. You're going to be fine... I am sure you've seen that some of us from the forum have reported to have caught and recovered completely including me as a "plague rat". :lol:

As were far deep into Omicron now, it is a much weaker strain that should give you no long term worries (comparatively with the 1st strain). If you're still feeling uncomfortable with the situation take the rest of the day off today and tomorrow, do something else, go for a walk in the park if the weather allows it... take an effort to manage your anxiety. Stress/anxiety also diminishes our lifespan by quite a bit (in fact, stress is one of the worst factors in that regard).

But the 60 quid is a bummer... I'd suggest to take a rapid test tomorrow before the event and if you're negative to just go. The rapid tests are a sign of transmissibility, if they are negative, you're most certainly fine and won't transmit to anyone (yet).
And, as always, bye bye.