Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
erowind

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by erowind »

Edit: post was meant in response to WjFox

/\ In the same boat, my girlfriend has been particularly difficult lately basically giving me the “choice” of not seeing her or eventually getting it because she “wants to have fun” and has been going to crowded concerts.

This has been going on about 3 weeks and I woke up with what I think is the start of a a sore throat today. She’s been sick twice already, has been testing negative but I don’t think she’s taking the tests properly as she’ll get them 1-3 days in to symptoms and declare “it’s not covid!” When in reality she should be getting tested 5days in at minimum too.

But what am I supposed to do? Everyone’s acting like this, I’m utterly screwed. I’ll still do my best to protect my mom and will now social distance until this passes, but if I don’t give it to her someone else will. Her boyfriend is going to concerts now too probably with the same stupid attitude.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Just had a chance thought that most people on this forum still know me as the Mother Meki guy, completely and utterly unaware of what I've been working on for the past three years. Then again, it's not exactly "futurist" in too many ways except maybe in the Marinetti sense, so no wonder...

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

After a scare yesterday (see my previous post), I tested negative for Covid this afternoon.

Had a great evening – went to Boisdale Bishopsgate with my friend, had a great meal and enjoyed some jazz/blues, sung by Errol Linton and his band. :)

R8Z

Post by R8Z »

wjfox wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:29 pm Had a great evening
Glad to hear that :D
And, as always, bye bye.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

wjfox wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:29 pm After a scare yesterday (see my previous post), I tested negative for Covid this afternoon.

Had a great evening – went to Boisdale Bishopsgate with my friend, had a great meal and enjoyed some jazz/blues, sung by Errol Linton and his band. :)

Glad all is ok!
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

When I restore my funds, I think I may break down and get these at some point:

So exciting to see smartglasses that are finally easily purchasable. It's one of my lesser dreams of 2013-2015 come true.

Of course, just watch Apple blow this out of the water.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I had been dabbling with lucid dreaming following a lot of the nonsense on how to get one.
I did end up getting stronger dreams and remembering my dreams (I suppose as I was thinking about dreaming a lot).

I just purchased the audio book "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge PhD"

He is actually the guy behind lucid dreaming research and the techniques to make you have a lucid dream.
The Lucid dreaming community has invented nonsense techniques and through Chinese whispers ruined scientific techniques.

I realistically hope that by using scientific lucid dreaming techniques correctly I will eventually be able to lucid dream 20+ minutes a night on average.

Lucid dreaming is probably the closest thing we have to FIVR and wastes nearly none of your day as you are asleep so I think it is a good skill to invest time into.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

About 30% chance I am going to get a better job than my current cleaning position.

It's very likely I will be getting a job interview for a position in customer service.

It will probably be minimum wage and one of the worst office jobs but ... it is an office job regardless!

I will get to sit instead of stand plus walk all day and if I am not busy 24/7 finally like most people in the first world I will get to chat around with familiar people and look at the internet at work.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I got the job I escaped being a cleaner, for the first time I have an office job. It's full time as well but minimum wage.

I am basically working in a call centre for a company that makes some of the world's most advanced AI software centred around automation for businesses. It's kind of cool given my interests lol.

The only issue is that the job doesn't like that I have to do psychiatrist appointments during full time work hours but I am sure there will be away around it now that I have got my feet in the door.

Realistically call centres are far from the best occupation but it's nice to be able to sit down whist working and the job feels respectable enough to be done long term.

It also kind of makes me feel like an adult if that makes sense.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

I can't put a date on AGI, but TAI (transformative AI) has arrived. It's just not commercialized yet.

DALL-E 2 alone could precipitate the immediate end of a wide variety of jobs if it's fine-tuned further and publicly released. More than that, it completely bypasses GANs. We're probably going to come to view GANs as an interesting false start because transformers can do what they do in a far more generalized manner.

DALL-E 3 is going to crush art. I mean I can foresee something like a model that can generate 4K images from text, ranging from that which looks like photographs all the way to classical art to everything in between. From text! You write what you want, what the composition should look like, and voila. It's only limited by your own vocabulary. I remember predicting that modeling jobs would soon be automated. GANs hadn't progressed at the rate I thought they would, or perhaps they did but were limited by the architecture. The capabilities of GANs in 2019-2021 were more like a strong hint. Now there's an actual fire alarm blaring.

It's intense how we're starting to measure AI progress in terms of weeks. It's even more intense how DALL-E 2 arguably wasn't even the most impressive AI shown this week. PaLM takes that crown. But image synthesis is flashier than text.

Edit: the more DALL-E 2 creations I find, the less cynical I become. There's so many little details, so many small little flourishes, that tells me that there's genuine imaginative generation going on. I still wouldn't call it "creativity," but it's still astounding to see.