Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Yuli Ban

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by Yuli Ban »

wjfox wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:12 am It's surely only a matter of time before I get my first Covid infection. I've been attending various large, indoor, maskless events in recent weeks – including last night, the biggest one yet.

Dying or being hospitalised doesn't worry me in the slightest. Long Covid is literally the only thing that still worries me.
ChatGPT's response:
While it is understandable to not be worried about dying or being hospitalized, it is important to consider the potential long-term effects of Covid-19. Long Covid, also known as post-Covid syndrome, can lead to a range of chronic symptoms such as fatigue, difficulty breathing, and cognitive issues. These symptoms can have a significant impact on one's daily life and well-being.

It is also important to consider the potential consequences of spreading the virus to others, including those who may be more vulnerable or have underlying health conditions. Taking precautions such as wearing a mask and practicing social distancing can help prevent the spread of the virus and protect both yourself and others.

It's responses involving COVID feel a bit stock.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
erowind

Post by erowind »

wjfox wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:12 am There isn't really much we can do though, is there?! Other than getting boosters when offered. And I still mask on public transport, in shops, etc.
As individuals no there isn't much unfortunately. I'm being more strategic with my mask wearing and am getting boosters, though, not as regularly as is recommended.

By strategic I mean that I'm still wearing a mask pretty much everywhere and will continue to for some years. The only thing I've loosened up on is that at dinners with friends I don't wear one anymore, or when I'm at small social gatherings. At shows and concerts I wear one though. I'm okay with taking it off for a few minutes to talk to people. Infection can happen instantly if you're unlucky but it generally does take 10-15 minutes at least of breathing contaminated air to build a large enough viral load. And I wear one at all public indoors non-social events always.

I think masks are more effective than the vaccine at this point. It's efficacy wanes too quickly for me to want to put up with getting a booster every 6-8 months. (Because covid mutates so rapidly not because the vaccines are initially ineffective.) I'm getting a booster once a year instead.

I haven't been infected yet either to my knowledge. At first I thought I must just have been asymptomatic but everyone I know even young healthy people who got covid had symptoms so I think that's unlikely. I hope to keep it that way until a universal vaccine is developed, which is possible within the next 5 years and likely in the next 10.
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

wjfox wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:12 am It's surely only a matter of time before I get my first Covid infection. I've been attending various large, indoor, maskless events in recent weeks – including last night, the biggest one yet.

Dying or being hospitalised doesn't worry me in the slightest. Long Covid is literally the only thing that still worries me.

I know it's time to move on from the pandemic, most people have already done so, and I'm really enjoying getting fully back into London's nightlife, etc. Life has to go on.

But I can't help feeling a little uneasy about the prospect of long-lasting damage from the virus, possibly a reduction in life expectancy by a few years, maybe some other health complications...

There isn't really much we can do though, is there?! Other than getting boosters when offered. And I still mask on public transport, in shops, etc.
Are you sure you haven't had it already? I might have had it at the very start of the pandemic before testing became available but obviously no way to tell. Since then my wife got covid and we made no attempt to isolate from each other despite this I never tested positive once while she had Covid. If something like that can happen maybe lots more people have had it than they think.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

lechwall wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:57 pm Are you sure you haven't had it already?

Tbh, I find it hard to believe that I completely avoided this virus, after 3+ years and dozens of meetups (many indoors).

So indeed, I may have been asymptomatic.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

For several weeks, this little fella had been scrabbling around inside my loft, making quite a bit of noise.

I took him to a local park. :)

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

As part of my new years resolution, i've decided to become vegetarian whilst in the process of losing 2 stone too, i had considered full on Veganism but that would be too much at the moment i would think.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

Time_Traveller wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:54 pm As part of my new years resolution, i've decided to become vegetarian whilst in the process of losing 2 stone too, i had considered full on Veganism but that would be too much at the moment i would think.
When synthetic meat is widely available it will be morally unjustifiable to eat slaughter meat (if it isn't already)
ººº

Post by ººº »

lol I heard about Chat GPT on the news.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I think I was wrong about my call center job due to desperation.

They are really just sweat shops with a 1984 feel with everything monitored but instead based around fluid intelligence and people skills. Everything you do is monitored and there are 10s of targets and hundreds of things you need to do.

Staying in the job is like the movie saving private Ryan 90% of people are gone in a month it's a miracle I have stayed there so long.

It is also viewed as something worse than working in fast food to people that hire workers.

Don't get me wrong whist I am writing this in a frustrated state after waking up in the middle of the night, its a good sign. I have higher standards for myself and unlike 9 months ago I do not feel the need to be kissing the ground like Jesus stepped on it because I got an objectively shit job.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Ozzie guy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:22 pm
They are really just sweat shops with a 1984 feel with everything monitored
Also highly susceptible to automation.