Personal chat thread

Anything that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere...
Ozzie guy

Re: Personal chat thread

Post by Ozzie guy »

Certain Russian user wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:06 am Once again, after about a year-long break, visited this place. Didn't read too much, even less interested to discuss anything, just don't like to lurk in shadows. As for my humble person, I currently live in nice place that in your language called something like "Ecovalley", the southern suburb of Samara beyond Samara river (see picture below). To those sadistically expected and gloated... oh sorry, I meant worried about me... no, I'm not in the army, neither I "cope and seethe" under heavy yoke of your mighty sanctions (believe me or not, the common man like me doesn't even see the difference). Nor I "deeply ashamed" / "fell into poverty" as some of you predicted. In turn, I hope you guys are OK and your personal present and future will not be disappointing.

PS Joe, mate, why did you disappeared from my radar? Did I say something very wrong? I don't remember anything like that, but if even... it wasn't a deliberate insult, I just prefer the sharp honesty over smooth and insincere politeness.

Nice to see your ok.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

As part of the ongoing saga with my teeth, I went to another dentist today. This one had some really hi-tech equipment that was seriously impressive!

She did a complete scan of my mouth, and the machine generated images of everything on a screen. Try to imagine a kind of interactive, 3D model, which you can rotate and zoom into with very high resolution, on a touchscreen tablet. Every little detail of my teeth could be seen in photorealistic 3D!

Not only that, but I was given the option of a treatment called "Invisalign", which can fix the alignment of your teeth. The computer even simulates your teeth, and generates a timelapse, to show how they could improve over time! (the treatment itself can take a few months)

The final stage of the consultation involved taking a photo of me standing against the wall, and the software even generated a picture of me with "perfect" teeth, haha.

I have a few teeth that could do with straightening, so I might consider Invisalign at some point, although it's pretty expensive.
Powers

Post by Powers »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I've just secured tickets for Horizon 22, which officially opens next week. 8-)

https://londonist.com/london/things-to- ... ishopsgate

*excited* :D
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:15 am I've just secured tickets for Horizon 22, which officially opens next week. 8-)

https://londonist.com/london/things-to- ... ishopsgate

*excited* :D
Hope you enjoy it but it definitely looks great to see.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

I'll tell a kind of messed up story of US medical care from when I was about ten years old. It's not fully bad, but even then there were some issues. This will unfortunately also reveal a little bit of messed up facts about my family, but anyway.

I was at a birthday party, roller skating, but I didn't know how to, so I was hugging the walls in the rink where I could. Eventually, I needed to use the restroom, so I shuffled over on my roller skates toward the entrance to the restrooms. Well, when I got close to there, I tripped over something on the carpet and fell on my arm. I don't remember what I said next, but I knew next thing I was crying, trying to untie my roller skates, as my arm hurt like hell. But, I was desperately ashamed of crying so I was trying to fight back my tears (as a girl at the age of about ten). I also don't remember at what point an adult entered into the picture, whether I had help pulling off my roller skates or not. I waited at a table for my parents while the mom of the birthday girl tried to help me. Still, I cried a little, but I was desperately trying to hold back the tears. By the time my parents had arrived, I had stopped crying. I told them I thought my arm was broken, while we walked out to the car, and unfortunately, my mother didn't believe me. But, they took me to the hospital anyway. She asked me if I was sure my arm was broken, even trying to touch it at one point/move it around (the reasoning she gave later in life, was that I wasn't crying).

When we got to the hospital, we waited in a waiting room. I was still in a lot of pain. We waited for a while, I don't know how long, and eventually, it became clear that the hospital wasn't going to be able to help us. I remember panicked shouting as multiple bodies were brought in on gurneys that day. So, we drove to another hospital, where I was finally able to get in to see a doctor, and the doctor confirmed I had broken my arm right above the elbow. I remember having to wear a cast for months, and then go through physical therapy for half a year at least. A child having to wait that long to see someone, with a broken arm, is a messed up thing. That's all I'll say.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I'm gonna try some blue light blocking glasses, because my sleep is just f***ed at the moment. Waking up at 4-5am every single morning for the last several weeks, and feeling lethargic all day. I haven't worn glasses since 2008, the year I had Lasik.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

An injured pigeon flew into my garden. I could see its left wing had been damaged and quite badly grazed, possibly by a cat. It hobbled around my patio for a while, and into the undergrowth, going around in what looked like a kind of daze.

It came closer a few times, and I was able to get a better look at its condition. Normally they'd fly off when I get close, but this one looked too injured to do much of anything. At times, it almost seemed like it wanted my help.

So I looked online, and was about to try the RSPCA, when it suddenly jumped up, onto the roof of my shed. It appeared to regain some energy, and then I heard the beating of wings, as it flew off into a neighbouring garden. I hope it's okay and recovers.
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

Never mind, I found the answer to the questions I was asking.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Since creating my Metaculus account, I have made 4 questions to date which are: -

[*]Will Ukraine have de-facto control over the Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts before January 1st, 2030?
[*]When will there be a round trip crewed mission to Neptune's orbit?
[*]When will a retail supermarket operate fully with A.I?
[*]When will a crewed mission orbit around Neptune's moon Triton?

The fourth however, will be officially put up in 2 days time after I had to wait for a while for the admin to adjust a few things after the Neptune question was up and running. I will be making more questions tomorrow afternoon at my friends and I also am very intrigued with the website Nightcafe.Studio where you create A.I images currently I have created quite a few since joining on the 2nd October.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.